PIP Appeal & so worried — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Appeal & so worried

elbest
elbest Community member Posts: 37 Connected
Hi I'm new here, I am just in the process of appealing for PIP, I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, PoTS, Osteoarthritis,IBS, Meniers disease,low thyroid, 2 neuromas in my foot, anxiety & depression plus many more little things going on. I cannot believe the response I got from my mandatory reconsideration. No success in either section when I have had DLA for 5 years. You feel as though you are nothing and don't matter how can they be so cruel? I am petrified of going to a tribuneral can anyone give me any advice to help me prepare for it. Thankyou in advance.

Comments

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Hi there @elbest! Tribunals are completely independent (nothing to do with the DWP), and they're well aware how terrible the DWP/IAS/Capita/Maximus are at this. Occasionally people get an unpleasant tribunal member, but usually they're very fair. 69% of PIP appeals are won by the claimant. 

It's informal - you're not on trial - but definitely be respectful. There are 3 tribunal members: a judge, a doctor, and a disability expert. The DWP may send a representative, to argue their side of it. When you get the big bundle of papers from the DWP, you can look at their letter to the tribunal to see what they're going to argue. 

The tribunal members have to see multiple claimants in a day, so they'll probably be asking you questions fairly quickly. If you need notes to make sure you answer correctly, bring some! It's a good idea to bring someone with you - a welfare rights person, or a CPN, etc., are great, but if not bring a family member or friend. They probably won't be able to talk, but they can support you. 

If you have time, it can be very helpful to write up a submission and send it in (to the court you'll be having the tribunal at). Basically, you want to write down which activities you're contesting, which descriptor you think you should have gotten, and why. Remember that they need to know how your conditions affect your ability to do each of the activities, not just your diagnoses. 

A useful guide: http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/ask-cpag-online-how-should-you-prepare-written-submission

A very useful document: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers (Part 2).

Good luck!
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    @elbest

PIP is awarded not for your conditions themselves but for how they affect your daily living and mobility.

Disability Rights UK site (DR) has a good guide to all stages and aspects of PIP.  They also publish their own Disability Rights Handbook which has a thorough guide to tribunal hearings. £18.50 from their website, or probably available in your local public library's reference section.
  • leahburnett1996
    leahburnett1996 Posts: 11 Connected
    Hi

Tribunals are a different thing completely. The people who oversee them are unfortunately aware of how professional the DWP are at handling claims. While it’s not formal still act politely and answer questions. Usually a disability expert is there. If you require notes bring some. Prepare a written or typed up submission explaining how you are day to day due to your disability for them to see. You might have a unprofessional person there but usually they are sympathetic with you. And make a list of challenging activities and take that with you to the meeting as well so they can fully understand how your condition impacts your daily life. Essentially what they need to know is exactly how your disability makes life harder for you. 

Good luck!! I’m sure you will be fine. Let us know what happens. 
  • elbest
    elbest Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    Thankyou that's reassuring ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.