Exhausted, let down and have given up. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Exhausted, let down and have given up.

Options
Yadnad
Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, you will all know by now of my age (70) and have had three PIP assessments, three face to face assessments in the past 5 years. The first two were reversed at MR to what I was previously getting (Enhanced both components). The third MR was refused with the notification that came yesterday.

I just can't keep going on with this on/off situation every 24 months. So I have come to the conclusion that the PIP road is no longer for me. I don't want to have to keep applying, having a face to face assessment, doing a MR etc every 2 years until I die. 

Given the PIP decision and it not being challenged/appealed against how will this affect an Attendance Allowance claim? Will the PIP assessor's report be viewed with an AA claim?
Given that I had my last PIP face to face assessment only some months ago, is it likely that they will just make an award based on the AA claim form? 

I am fully aware that there is no mobility element which means that I can't ever regain my mobility car.

Does anybody have any opinions on what the DWP will do as regards the length of an award if it is granted (if it goes back to the 2 year cycle like PIP, then I will cancel the whole thing)?

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I read on here somewhere you can get up to 10 years if you appeal the length of time for award. But I think @Username_removed would help you with that possibly 
  • debbiedo49
    Options
    At what stage should you ask for a longer time period please? @mikehughescq
  • debbiedo49
    Options
  • Yadnad
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If you don’t make any points about length of award then they will continue to give you short awards. If you have long established conditions, perhaps even degenerative, then you have a strong case but you have to make that case. Tell you want an ongoing award and, if they’re not going to do that, ask them to identify the specific evidence which they think points towards a shorter award. Never yet had them come back with an answer to that :)

Hi Mike, yes I fully understand what you have said in the past and again, now as regards the length of award. I honestly didn't know (and why would I) that a claimant can demand that of the DWP. I simply assumed that you get what you are given in terms of the period.
    The only thing now open to me is to appeal, something that I genuinely feel unable to face.
    The past 5 years since when I was transferred to PIP from DLA has been a stressful time.
    Long established. Well yes, if I was looking at the spinal injury this goes back to the early 80's following a serious fall from a horse moving at speed. Over the years it has deteriorated to such an extent that now walking a few yards is extremely painful. Had all of the tests in hospital and unfortunately there is no cure or surgery available. I have been told that I will eventually end up permanently in a wheelchair.
    Back in 2004 I developed Chronic Pancreatitis which in itself, besides the damage caused to other organs is a very painful issue. The prognosis is Pancreatic Cancer at best at worst just more of the same stomach pain year in year out.
    Back in 1995 I received two bullet wounds to the stomach area which surprisingly do not now cause me any issues apart from the scars which itch, it was the baseball bat across the back of my head that damaged both the skull and the frontal lobe. So with a long term brain injury and long term PTSD I have had to completely adapt my life to fit in with how I now see life around me.

All in all I have had 23 years of dealing with/fighting the DWP single handed with no professional input which started with the ESA transition from IB, IIDB, DLA, PIP, and even the Pension Service with the Pension Credit claim made in 2013 after the DWP closed down my ESA claim.

I have lost 23 years of my life mainly because of trying to do the right thing for others.

My posting was to get some input as to what may happen if I claim AA instead

Thanks

• Yadnad
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Please don’t give up. That is exactly what the government wanted when they started this Pip.
    you need to fight for your rights

Personally I have given up caring what the government want - my current attitude is OK you want it - here it is, my health comes before your petty arguments that I no longer have any physical or mental issues.

What I am actually giving up for is the horrible thought that no matter what I do I will continue to have face to face assessments every 24 months for what years I have left on this world.

PIP to me is a never ending fight - one that I am now too tired to continue

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.