Should I reapply for PIP or is my son entitled to any other benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I reapply for PIP or is my son entitled to any other benefits?

Dartsqueen67
Dartsqueen67 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My son Thomas has been getting Disibility Living Allowance since he was 3 years old,when he turned 16,I was told too apply for P.I.P,which I did he went for a medical assessment,they turned him down, I appealed,he was turned down again.He is now 17,Thomas has always been behind in school,as he has learning difficulities.He has had a lot of help in primary school,with his own special teacher.He also had speech therapy as he stutters,when trying too get his words out.Carers allowance also stopped at the same time.Need advice what too do next.Whether too apply again for P.I.P.or any other benefits he is entitled too.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Dartsqueen67, hello and welcome, I am not a benefits advisor so I would sujest you contact by phone or visit a citizens Advice centre for advice on this on. Many 16yr olds will lose their benefits when they move from DLA to PIP. Some because they don't meet the descriptors in the PIP acessment as I exspect was the case of your son . I hope that the CAB can help and advise you.   
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Keep applying and complain about it as it seems your son has more problems than many who ARE awarded pip. Keep going!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    My son Thomas has been getting Disibility Living Allowance since he was 3 years old,when he turned 16,I was told too apply for P.I.P,which I did he went for a medical assessment,they turned him down, I appealed,he was turned down again.He is now 17,Thomas has always been behind in school,as he has learning difficulities.He has had a lot of help in primary school,with his own special teacher.He also had speech therapy as he stutters,when trying too get his words out.Carers allowance also stopped at the same time.Need advice what too do next.Whether too apply again for P.I.P.or any other benefits he is entitled too.
    Hi,

For the PIP did you take it to Tribunal? If not then was there any reasons why? When was the decision made?

As for any other benefits, it will depend if he's still in full time education? If he is then you should already be claiming child tax credit and child benefit for him. Other than that there's nothing else that he could claim in his own right.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pjak
    pjak Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Yes, it was only a computer that assessed the scores but in an  appeal you may  have a 'human' to look at it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.