Memory problems in most areas but can drive for short journeys - are these incompatible in PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Memory problems in most areas but can drive for short journeys - are these incompatible in PIP

Options
Jaycee602
Jaycee602 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
MY friend has multiple conditions with significant bowel, incontinence, one-side weakness and Crohns disease, severe anxiety and some physical disabilities. Over the past 2 years  he has experienced severe problems with short term memory - to the point that dementia is being investigated, and he needs prompting, reminding to do things, has to make lists for everything,  and has increasing problems with dealing with longer texts, any bank statements, bills, etc., becoming overloaded mentally and getting distressed regularly about simple things. 

Despite this he is able to drive familiar short journeys independently, in an automatic car and with satnav, which I know is not an accepted aid. He can do this safely and reliably and needs no help to do it, perhaps because it's a longstanding skill and not dependent on short term memory. He can't make longer journeys without support, prompted directions or several practice runs.

He has a lot of very genuine daily living difficulties, needs help and assistance a lot, and especially more and more with prompting and reminding and needing to have simple cognitive tasks done for him or with him, because of memory or confusion issues, in addition to extensive digestive and continence issues which keep his housebound a lot of the time. 

He's not expecting to receive any mobility component because of this, though he has other physical impairment, but does the  fact that he can do these simple drives to familiar places undermine his  claim to to the daily living component? Is an assessor likely to say, well you can drive yourself, so you can't have any cogntive impairments, or real memory problems. Is his driving ability likely to endanger his claim for the daily living component of PIP?

Comments

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The daily living is about how you fit the criteria and what you need help with day to day. 
    So evidence of the help you need and supporting evidence to back that up.
    You might be asked about driving in the mobility part of the assessment. How you got to the assessment etc.
    Have they done the self test?

Honest answer , driving would bother me but I'm not a DM or assessor.
    The reason is because if you are going to go down the route of confusion, short term memory loss, cognitive function, prompting, reminding as their severe  impairments.
    Should they actually be behind the wheel of a car?
    I am not medically fit to drive,  but I hear and read so often that people feel they are severely impaired but still do. How do they manage something that complex and high risk?

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.