RECIPE IDEAS - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

RECIPE IDEAS

Comments

• fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    @charlene

Creamy spinach and mushroom pasta

You will need, chopping board, knife, pot for pasta, frying pan, collander

300g pasta (I would use linguine) 6 mushrooms sliced, 300g spinach, 1 clove garlic, 50g gorgonzola, 150g cream cheese (low fat if preferred)50ml milk, 1/2 tsp basil salt and pepper to taste. a little oil

Cook pasta in the pot. put oil in the pan and cook mushrooms3 minutes then add in spinach cook for further 2 minutes add in garlic cook for 1 minute then add in cream cheese, crumble in gorgonzola, add in your basil and milk mix till it becomes a creamy sauce add in salt and pepper if required.
    Drain pasta then add in to the sauce, mix well and serve.

This will cost approx £4 depending on brand name v shops own and your preference of pasta.
    Serve it with a nice salad, maybe rocket salad and a lovely white wine :)

life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @fishingmum Thanks for recipes all noted down and ready.  Either to suit myself. Hope you do not mind adapt anything you put on.

To my level and skills of cooking but also adapt it to suit my disability.

Thing is when you have this equipment to use in the kitchen. You make use of it being sensible and practical .

Examples right now have Chicken coated in Paprika and Smoked Paprika in a Ragu sauce poaching away in the small slow cooker. So that is done.

Then all I do is to get stockpot out. Add Onions from Slicer food processor and add to stockpot and sauce and Chicken plus Lentils 

You wonder why not add Lentils to slow cooker. Because last time ended up sticking at the bottom and making a mess. 

Besides watched  a programme one time and always admire their ways to get flavour into food. Diners, Drive ins and Dives. All the kitchen poach or simmer there meat in sauce and spices to give it flavour. Then final cook off is in a stockpot and options to shred the meat or leave whole.

Of course what I  can do is a portion of shredded meat and sauce microwave.  Plus any pre cooked vegetables.

Done this before many times and it works fine.

Besides washing up not a lot. Just a few dishes.  Have my Motown and Northern Soul on dancing away helps.

Please can I add see your posts on Pasta great more good recipes. This is excellent. I have a lot of time to help people with food solutions. Am grateful for super recipes.

You are much appreciated. This is what the community is all about.

Sharing and caring

Thank you

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    @thespiceman I find quite a lot of kitchen items (food processers) take me longer than cutting and give me more dishes, so I would only use it to puree or liquidfy, I am lucky enough to be able to do. One of the reasons I share recipes and how to's as I find that I am in a position to be able to.

Recipes are a guide, you work with them and make them to your own taste Have fun, hopefully I may give you an idea or two.

Tip for the lentils, soak them in water, do not cook them, then add them into a recipe so no burning, for example the layered loaf I mentioned, it might make it easier for you.
  • fishingmum
    Seafood Pasta

You will need chopping board, knife (food processor for those who find chopping difficult) pot, collander

Pasta 300g, cooked mussels, prawns and  cockles, (or a seafood mix packet if it is frozen add in to sauce earlier than precooked and ready to go in) I also add in razor fish but you can add in whatever seafood you like approx 300g, 2 cloves of garlic crushed, 4 spring onions finely chopped, 1 chilli finely chopped, 1 tin chopped tomatoes, 1tsp basil, 50ml red wine,tomato puree and some oil to fry onions.

In a pan gently cook spring onion 2 minutes, add garlic, chilli and basil 1 minute,  add in red wine cook for 2 minutes then add in chopped tomatoes and half the tin of water and approx tblsp tomato puree, bring to the boil then let simmer for 12-15 minutes till thickens, whilst that is simmering get the pasta on. Once pasta is ready drain and sit to one side, add in precooked seafood cook for 2 minutes then add in pasta cook for further 1 minute and serve. If using frozen read the instructions on how long it takes to cook and add it into the sauce for time required.

This goes amazing with spinach and mushroom sides, or garlic bread (both) and a smooth red wine.

It would cost approx £5 if you are buying a bag of frozen seafood, fresh about £6 this serves 4.
  • fishingmum
    pasta bake

500g fusilli, 2 tins chopped tomatoes blended, 150ml single cream, 250g mozzarella sliced, 50g paremsan, 2 cloves garlic minced, handful of fresh basil leaves roughly chopped, 1 onion finely chopped, 1/2 courgette thinly sliced a little oil

You will need chopping board, knife, pot, frying pan, oven tray, collander

Put the pasta on to cook, in the frying pan cook the onion till soft add in garlic and courgettes cook for another 2-3 minutes add in the blended tomatoes (passata cartons if it makes it easier) add in cream and parmesan and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain pasta and mix with the sauce.

In the oven tray put half the pasta mix and put half the mozzarella and basil leaves on top, then put the rest of the mix on and top off with mozzarella and fresh basil put in the oven for 18-20 minutes at 180 or gas 4 till the cheese has browned on top.

This goes really well with garlic and olive salad

Cost approx £4.50 and easily serves 4
  • fishingmum
    stuffed chicken thigh fillets.

In lidls they sell packs of chicken thighs prefilleted for under £2.00 since I feed 6 people daily, this is a great choice for me, but they can be frozen once cooked.

You will need chopping board, knife, oven tray, mixing bowl, frying pan, tin foil

Chicken thigh fillets, 200g butter, 200g oats, 250g mushrooms finely chopped, 1  red onion finely chopped, 1 white onion finely chopped, 2 cups of breadcrumbs, 1tbsp thyme, 6 chives finely chopped, 300g sausage meat, 1 egg,  a little oil to brush thighs with.

In a pan melt 80g of the butter and add the oats cook for 3-4 minutes and then transfer to mixing bowl. Put in the rest of the oil add onions and mushrooms cook till onions are soft add in the thyme cook for further 2 minutes transfer to mixing bowl add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix well.

Spoon in enough stuffing into each thighs and brush over with a little oil then wrap tightly in tin foil and place on oven tray repeat with all the thighs.

Put in oven 180 or gas 4 for about 1 hour 20 minutes (depending on the weight 20 minutes per pound plus 20 minutes)

Depending on how many thighs in the packet, normally serves 4-6 cost is approx £6.00

Normally served with roast potatoes or mash and a mix of vegetables, last time I done this I served it with asparagus and buttered carrots.
  • Dingbat
    Dingbat Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Rice dishes are great but they can also be used as a substitute for potatoes. So this basic savoury rice dish can be eaten on its own or with a dish.

Savoury rice

You will need a chopping board, knife,pot

1 red onion finely chopped, 4 mushrooms sliced, 1/2 green pepper roughly chopped, approx 3cm of courgette sliced, 1 clove garlic minced, 1/2 tin chopped tomatoes, pint of veg stock ,1tsp curry powder, 1tbsp wholegrain mustard, a few chopped chives and a little oil to fry veg.

In the pot add the oil and cook the onion till clear, add in the mushrooms pepper and courgette cook for 2 minutes, add in garlic cook for another minute, then add in rice, stock, mustard, chives, chopped tomatoes and curry powder and cook for 15 minutes until rice is cooked and liquid gone. Ready to serve.

This will serve 4 as a meal or 8 side portions. It costs approx £1.30 to make for the basic savoury rice, you can always add in smoked sausage, or chicken to add a little meat in to it, or prawns and mussels to make it more of a seafood dish, just change your stock to suit if using meat ingredients.

Love the sound of this recipe!  Tried your recipe for fishcakes and they were really lovely.  Just wondering how much rice you add as I don't see a quantity on the list of ingredients?  Would be lovely to try - Many thanks for your brilliant recipes.  I cant use a conventional cooker as I have RA in my hands and find heavy things hard to lift off and also have problems with chopping, but this sounds nice and easy to try.  Lyn x
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • fishingmum
    @Dingbat oops lol, approx 350g of uncooked rice. for the savoury rice dish.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @fishingmum Good morning thank you very much seafood recipes. I actually used to buy the seafood mix from ASDA. Contains Squid and Prawn , mussels. Right really great mix and standby.

Make up the Pasta sauce and add in Anti Pasti Jars either Artichokes or Sundried Tomatoes or Roasted Peppers. With Penne as the shape of choice.

Simple so you given the basic recipe start that back up again. Stopped sometimes do. Recipes. Like Fish so could add other Fish like Cod or Haddock to pad that out.

Much appreciated.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    Summer cod pasta

You will need, chopping board, knife, shallow dish, frying pan, pasta pot, collander

150g cod (can use pollack or haddock as a substitute)
    300g pasta (normally I would use spaghetti or linguine) 75g fresh basil finely chop 25g and leave the rest of the leaves whole, 1tbsp chopped chives, 1tbsp chopped parsley, 1 red chilli finely chopped, 50g olives (pitted) Juice of 1 lemon, zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange, some veg oil to cook with and some olive oil for marinade and to coat pasta at end if needed.

In a bowl mix the juice from the lemon and the zest from orange and lemon, 50ml approx olive oil, chopped basil, chives and parsley, pour over the fish and turn to make sure it is well coated and leave to sit till ready to cook.
    Cook pasta. Heat the oil and quickly fry the whole basil leaves for a few seconds take out and sit on kitchen paper to drain excess oil.
    Now add in fish pieces and cook both sides for a few minutes each till cooked through, sit the fish to oneside. in the same pan add in the marinade and olives heat on high for 1-2 minutes, then pour over the drained pasta with a little extra olive oil if needed and mix through. dish up the pasta, then add the pieces of fish and basil to top the spaghetti.

The cost of this is approx £5 and serves 4.
    This goes great with steamed veg, or a fennel and crouton salad.
  • fishingmum
    edited May 2018
    Ling lemon butter en croute

Easy dish that requires little effort. you can substitue the fish for another white fish its whatever you have.

You will need oven tray, chopping board, knife,small pot or pan, rolling pin (unless you buy ready rolled pastry) whisk, lemon squeezer, pastry brush

4 fillets of ling, puff pastry, 40g butter, 1/2 lemon juiced and zested, sea salt and pepper. 1 egg beaten, a little flour to roll out pastry.

In the pot put in your butter and heat on medium for about 3 minutes take off heat, add in the juice from the half lemon and mix then add in zest and a tiny amount of salt and pepper. sit to one side.

Roll out your pastry, (or open up the sheet of ready rolled) cut into 4 pieces. brush both sides of your ling with the sauce and place on one side of the pastry, repeat with the other pieces of fish, using a little beaten egg go around the edges and fold the pastry over, use a fork or side of knife to pinch edges together, using the beaten egg brush over the pastry, using the knife cut a couple of splits in the top of the pastry (but not the fish) and put on tray for the oven bake as per pastry cooking instructions. Should take about 40 minutes till it is ready.

Serve with mixed roasted veggies.

Cost is approx £5 (depending on what white fish you decide to use and what prices you can get it for at the time, seasonal fish is cheaper to buy) and serves 4.

For those who do not have an oven you can still make the sauce and marinade the fillets for half hour, then pan fry and serve with potato croquettes instead.
  • debbiedo49
    Beef and tomato pot noodle 
    Shake pot
    peel off lid
    remove sauce sachet 
    boil kettle 
    pour water in pot to level
    leave for a few minutes
    stir with fork
    add sauce sachet to taste 
    enjoy!
  • thespiceman
    HOME MADE POT NOODLES

You need Cooked Chicken shredded
    Straight to Wok Noodles
    Bag of Stir fry veg
    Frozen or fresh from supermarket
    Sauce
    Tin tomatoes chopped
    Five Spice Powder 1 teaspoon
    Soy Sauce dash
    Sesame Oil dash

All in one pan 

1. Sesame oil in a pan touch with bag of stir fry veg.  Medium heat

2. Add in shredded chicken, tin tomatoes , Five Spice Powder mix 

3. Dash Soy at the end.

4.  Add in dried Coriander or fresh a handful.

5. Alternative chicken cooked prawns at the end add.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    Beef and tomato pot noodle 
    Shake pot
    peel off lid
    remove sauce sachet 
    boil kettle 
    pour water in pot to level
    leave for a few minutes
    stir with fork
    add sauce sachet to taste 
    enjoy!

never tried beef and tomato pot noodle but I remember very well trying the chicken and mushroom years ago when I was a student, I must have gotten one of the horrid ones (apparently they can be either good or bad???). Never tried any other flavour, or since. I have given some folks a really good laugh over the years with my lack of being able to use ready meals.

One time my friend came to stay and the co-op had a really good deal on ready meals, my husband trying to be helpful thinking I should have a night off since friend was staying brought these home. They were in a really thin plastic, anyway I thought it had to be transfered over to a microwavable tub, as these were just holders. Turns out you stabbed the top with a fork and nuked them. They were horrid and there was very little of them you would have had to eaten 2 for dinner. last time it ever happened lol
  • debbiedo49
    @fishingmum do you eat tripe? My dad considered it a delicacy and enjoyed making a huge pot up and then eating the lot! Starting off as a family favourite years ago. The butcher said it was very unusual for the whole family to like tripe. It’s quite expensive to buy. 
  • fishingmum
    never been a fan of tripe @debbiedo49 it is an aquired taste, I eat most things but that is not one, in saying that I do eat haggis lol so happy to cook things in the stomach lining not the lining itself hahaha
  • debbiedo49
  • thespiceman
    Hello Ladies   @fishingmum    @debbiedo49 You were talking about Tripe. I eat Offal. Love it and find it additional to the menu. I plan.

Need something different. Like Lambs Heart, Kidneys, Ox Liver.

Easy to prepare and costs are cheap.  Most Supermarkets sell it.

Ox liver season it with Black Pepper and touch of Cayenne.  Coat in oil on to the grill on a high heat.

Serve it with Lentils and Ragu Sauce.

Heart and Kidneys season as above.  Coat it in flour.  Oil sear and to slow cooker on low heat. With Lentils and I add in Sprig Rosemary.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49

Brightness