Contribution based ESA phasing out, what will happen to people who have assets? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Contribution based ESA phasing out, what will happen to people who have assets?

wideyes
wideyes Community member Posts: 18 Connected
am in receipt of ESA contributions based support group higher rate DLA lower rate personal care 

am I correct saying that even though one is ill , this type of benefit maybe phased out and replaced with an income based means tested benefit ?

spoke today to Osbornes welfare benefit solicitor who mentioned that ESA Contribution based support group type benefit will not carry on as s benefit ongoing 

my worry is : 

i am receiving legal advice re a disabled trust and as long as my sick benefit remains non means tested the trust should not affect this . However if the DWP phase out esa Contribution based benefit what will happen to people who have assets with sick benefit ? Surely the sick benefit should remain non means tested with transitional protection for life ? 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi wideyes

Thank you for posting.

It's the income-based "legacy" benefits that are currently being phased out, in favour of universal credit.

There are six of them: income-based Jobseekers Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income support, housing benefit, working tax credit, and child tax credit. 

I'm not aware of government plans to phase out the contributory legacy benefits. 

Best wishes

Gill_scope
  • itsmefee
    itsmefee Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    I am on Contributory ESA on the old system and applied recently for housing benefit. I had to claim Universal Credit for the hosing benefit and Child Tax Credit part but that runs along side my CONT ESA.

However, any benefits you receive including ESA are deducted from any amount of benefit you get under UC, which leaves you no better off than you were before you applied. This was the case for me. 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds a fantastic system.  :|
    Yet more fiddling, messing it up and assessments. 

What's the purpose of changing the name to be style? More planned cuts?
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • wideyes
    wideyes Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    I am currently dealing with Osbornes solicitor London . He is very up to date on benefits and has knowledge that new style ESA contribution benefit support group will be phased out . 

You wait and see what this conservative government will do 

they will ensure sick benefit which was transfered from Invalidity benefit to ESA contributions based will be removed just watch this space 

the DWP are intending to start challenging people on means tested esa more stringently and it will not be far off when the DWP will use everyone’s assets to determine if they should be entitled to sick pay 

watch this space 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    wideyes said:
    I am currently dealing with Osbornes solicitor London . He is very up to date on benefits and has knowledge that new style ESA contribution benefit support group will be phased out . 

You wait and see what this conservative government will do 

they will ensure sick benefit which was transfered from Invalidity benefit to ESA contributions based will be removed just watch this space 

the DWP are intending to start challenging people on means tested esa more stringently and it will not be far off when the DWP will use everyone’s assets to determine if they should be entitled to sick pay 

watch this space 
    Where is the evidence to back this up.
    It's this type of comment that looks like scaremongering.
    Nobody has a crystal ball as to what will it won't come into effect.
    What does look to be the case though, is people are getting their benefits shaved in some way or another. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Talking sense again Mike, the new style ESA is something DWP keep hidden and we, those wishing to claim it have to ask and be persistent. Not claiming it and just going for the UC leaves you, we the claiment financially worst off in most cases but not all.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.