Why do PIP appeal contact ATOS before starting the payment process? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why do PIP appeal contact ATOS before starting the payment process?

issiem58
issiem58 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi
I won my PIP appeal two weeks ago, standard for both mobility and daily care.  I contacted the DWP today and was told that they had been waiting for a response from ATOS, and recieved this today.    I asked what the next step would be and how long I would have to wait, they said it should be too long now and they would contact me by phone soon to check my bank account details and another couple of things (he was very vague).  I have not heard whether they are asking for a statement of reasons!  Does anyone know why they contact ATOS and why do they have to wait for a reply from them before starting the payment process? 

Many thanks

Comments

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    I would not worry it takes time for them to pay you after an appeal they do not rush things people have said 6 weeks is not unusual.
    They are going to have to have a good reason to appeal like a point of law
  • issiem58
    Thank you markyboy

It is so stressful isn't it?  Hopefully they won't take too long now!

Many thanks

Issie

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Don'y worry contacting Atos or asking for a statement of reasons won't affect the result unless the law has not been applied by the judge 
    Sometimes money is paid into your bank account before you even get the brown envelope so keep checking 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    issiem58 said:
    Hi
    I won my PIP appeal two weeks ago, standard for both mobility and daily care.  I contacted the DWP today and was told that they had been waiting for a response from ATOS, and recieved this today......Does anyone know why they contact ATOS and why do they have to wait for a reply from them before starting the payment process? 

Many thanks

Not being privy to the inner workings of the DWP, in a way you have answered your own question.
    ATOS would have made the initial report to the DWP which presumably the DWP used to refuse you the rates you believed that you were entitled to.
    You appealed with the result being different to what the DWP said in the first place.
    Presumably the DWP on finding out the Tribunal decision would have asked ATOS to give their opinion on the Tribunal's decision. This was then received by the DWP who would then assess if they feel that they have grounds to appeal the Tribunal's decision

I would presume that the DWP would want to know why ATOS's report and advice to the DWP was so different to the opinion of the Tribunal. 

The system is a shambles in that the responsibility of  the DWP is to get the right decision first time round - but their hands are tied if the ATOS report is lacking in quality and detail. The DWP decision makers have to trust ATOS because they are told to unless there is a glaring omission or inaccuracy.
  • issiem58
    Thank you Yanad

The guy I spoke to yesterday, just said the report had now come back from ATOS and the next step is that they will contact me soon to check my bank account details etc.  So hopefully within the four weeks! 

Many thanks
    Issie
  • issiem58
    markyboy said:
    Don'y worry contacting Atos or asking for a statement of reasons won't affect the result unless the law has not been applied by the judge 
    Sometimes money is paid into your bank account before you even get the brown envelope so keep checking 
    Thank you Markyboy

I really hope they don't ask for a statement of reasons, but from the brief reason they gave for awarding me PIP my medical records fully support this ( I am unable to use my upper body without help).  Apparently at the ATOS assessment I was able to move completely until she did the formal musculoskeletal tests!

Many thanks for your supportive words.

Issie

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.