How can I show that I'm disabled? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I show that I'm disabled?

Comments

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Victoriad said:
    Hello Mike
    PIP is non taxable, surely that inself could be taken as an indication, that you don’t need to worry about it ,being taxed ,should you decide to work.

This in itself along with the lack of any information declaring you are not permitted to work when claiming PiP and that no declaration required to be made to PiP, about working, leads me to believe that there is an intention to encourage people to work......and what on Earth is wrong with encouraging people into work?.....

Has work voluntary or otherwise become some sort crime?.....don’t think so.

For some of us it has.
    It might be circumstances.
    But when it all changes to UC, the advice I got at the time was that because I will need the housing element, I wouldn't be permitted to earn more than £25!! 
    So how am I meant to get back into work and pay my own way.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    feir said:
    whistles said:
    So that site is giving the wrong information to people? 
    Why is that not being corrected?
    That NHS link you gave is too. It was even updated 2 days ago but mentions claiming DLA but you can't claim that any more? No mention of PIP at all.

Seems this government haven't got a good handle on their official sites.
    People are still on DLA that's why. Not everyone has migrated. 

Link not working. 
    But it's in relation to ESA.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/while-youre-getting-esa/working-while-getting-esa/ 

I would be to ask them what is even considered permitted.

• [Deleted User]
  • magunra2k
    magunra2k Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Victoriad said:
    I’m afraid to disagree that to be considered disabled, getting a benefit is paramount to prove this........

I was claiming absolutely no benefits.
    But I had a medical condition that automatically came under the auspices of the Disability Discrimination Act.

Regards the misconception that PiP claimants who work are somehow taking advantage of the system ......Id like to nail that one, right away.

PiP is encouraging claimants to take up work just as ESA or DLA did previously, but unlike unpaid voluntary work under the old systems....it’s now paid work.....so why is there a problem?

Paid work gives a sense of self worth, social interaction and preserves the independence of the individual, rather than encourage folk to stay at home, it encourages PiP claimants to become proactive regarding their health and increased contribution to society, by taking up some work.

PiP was never designed to be a prison sentence discouraging people to go out and about and maintain some independence.

okay, so if you were claiming no benefits how did you prove to people you were disabled if proof was ever required? this is the question im trying to answer most of all, how does one prove disability if proof is required if you don't claim benefits?

• [Deleted User]
  • magunra2k
    Fairly confident a full answer has been given repeatedly.
    so you cant be disabled unless you claim a benefit?
  • magunra2k
    Victoriad said:
    So is this all about getting a free bus pass?....as I really can’t figure out, the point of trying to prove you are disabled?

Are there some benefits in kind to be had?......I just don’t get it.

no, its not about anything, its about proving you are disability if you need to without making a benefit claim,can it be done?
  • [Deleted User]
  • magunra2k
    Yawn. Yes, depending on the thing you wish to access.

Time to close the thread as I’ve a sense we’re being trolled.
    Mike , i came here looking for genuine advice, im not looking to troll anyone, the question is a simple one , how do you prove disability if you dont make a disability claim? 
    as it turns out my wife has decided that she will apply for PIP, because after consulting with various people it seems to be the only way she will be able to prove that she is disabled when she needs to. 

Now if you didnt like the question then dont get involved.
  • magunra2k
    Victoriad said:
    Well.....what about getting your self a guide dog....seeing it’s not about anything serious, unless you are genuinely disabled and partially sighted.

Failing that discuss the thread with your GP...and they may refer you to the appropriate services ( dont ask me, Im not a doctor!)

Last Resort follow Mikes advice..or make yourself a laminate card stating you urgently require information on how to be disabled........take a trip up to Sauchihall Street, Glasgow on a Friday night and I’m sure you will quickly fulfill the criteria, once you’ve shown it to several folk spilling out the pubs....who think you are taking the Micheal ;)

best A&E ?.....try the Victoria.

Victoriad said:
    Well.....what about getting your self a guide dog....seeing it’s not about anything serious, unless you are genuinely disabled and partially sighted.

Failing that discuss the thread with your GP...and they may refer you to the appropriate services ( dont ask me, Im not a doctor!)

Last Resort follow Mikes advice..or make yourself a laminate card stating you urgently require information on how to be disabled........take a trip up to Sauchihall Street, Glasgow on a Friday night and I’m sure you will quickly fulfill the criteria, once you’ve shown it to several folk spilling out the pubs....who think you are taking the Micheal ;)

best A&E ?.....try the Victoria.

thanks for the advice
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @magunra2k not sure why you are getting upset with members who have been trying to help you.

Where councils, government or other organisations/companies/charities offer discounts or access to services for disabled people they tend to have their own criteria which your wife would need to meet.

As mentioned there is no such thing as being registered disabled. PIP is one way of proving you have a disability, but may not be on the list of some concessions. Plus having a disability does not automatically entitle a person to PIP.

There are a couple of disability cards you can register with which are accepted by some companies/organisations, but by no means universal.

So each situation is different and needs to be approached as such, and this is what others have said to you.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• whistles
    magunra2k said:
    Yawn. Yes, depending on the thing you wish to access.

Time to close the thread as I’ve a sense we’re being trolled.
    Mike , i came here looking for genuine advice, im not looking to troll anyone, the question is a simple one , how do you prove disability if you dont make a disability claim? 
    as it turns out my wife has decided that she will apply for PIP, because after consulting with various people it seems to be the only way she will be able to prove that she is disabled when she needs to. 

Now if you didnt like the question then dont get involved.
    Not a question of disliking the question. Specifically a case of having given the answer repeatedly and having it ignored repeatedly. Whilst receipt of certain benefits passports entitlement to other things it does not do so across the board so, depending on what it is she wishes to access, she may find PIP is no use at all. 
    Why is this flagged? 

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @magunra2k, glad to see you've had some advice from our community members.

Something else you may like to consider is an Access Card- there's a small charge to pay (£15), but I have one of these myself and it's an easy and hassle-free way of demonstrating that you have additional needs, and what those needs are. You may also be entitled to discounts and free carer tickets in certain locations! It may not be right for you, but I'd definitely recommend having a look.
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness