RECIPE IDEAS - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

RECIPE IDEAS

Comments

• fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    @debbiedo49 don't know anyone that eats tripe except my english neighbours lol.
    @thespiceman I do liver in chopped tomatoes some paprika, fresh basil and spring onion with mushrooms, heart and kidneys go into pies after been done in the slow cooker.
    I am currently defrosting shin and cheek for use in a beef soup, that I do with rice and carrots and onions some tomato puree and let it thicken up its really lovely
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • fishingmum
    Spring onion and mushroom pasta

you will need chopping board, knife, pot for pasta, frying pan

150g spaghetti, 6 spring onions sliced, 200g mushrooms sliced, 2 tbsp olives pitted and halved, some fresh basil, 4 chives roughly chopped, 1 clove of garlic minced, 1/4 red pepper finely chopped, 200g cream cheese, 30g parmesan optional 50g roughly chopped spinach leaves, some milk to make the sauce go further if you feel it is too thick

Boil pasta till ready. In frying pan add in mushrooms cook for 2 minutes add in spring onion, pepper, garlic (if adding spinach add in now) cook for further 2 minutes add in basil and chives 1 minute then add in cream cheese and parmesan and mix till sauce is formed ( add in milk now if you want to thin it out a little) once ready mix with pasta and serve.

Serves 4.

Crusty bread and salad goes well with this.

Cost approx £2.50
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @fishingmum Good morning thanks for this another excellent recipe.

Just finished yesterday. My Pasta sauces for freezer. Easy to do and ready to use.

I always add Carrots to a Pasta Sauce sweetens the sauce. Also always Chilli and some Paprika. Not like the illuminated bright red sauces of the shops. All in my opinion too expensive.

Cheaper to make.

Hope to speak soon.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    @thespicemanI add grated carrot to tomato based sauces, its nots just as a sweetener, it adds extra vitamins, and extra veg especially for fussy kids lol
  • fishingmum
    It was my sons birthday the other day and I made a variety of different sweets, this is a recipe I saw online and slightly changed it to suit myself.

Kinder beuno fudge (this is my adapted version rather than the one I found online)

You will need a chopping board, knife, mixing bowl, baking sheets and tray

6 double bueno bars 4 packs to be chopped up to mix in and 2 bars chopped up to go on top, 400g white chocolate, 60g butter, 1 tin condensed milk, 150g icing sugar, 100g milk chocolate bars chopped up or 100g chocolate drops

Melt butter and white chocolate together, once all melted add in icing sugar and condensed milk whisk well mix in the first lot of chopped bueno bars and chocolate drops/ or chopped chocolate. In your tray put a baking sheet and then pour mixture over, then with the remainder of the bueno bars place over the top.
    Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.

Cut up in to small pieces and it is ready to serve.

Cost is approx £6 and can easily be cut into 18 pieces.

• fishingmum
    Creamy chicken pasta

Another recipe that is adaptable to suit needs and abilities in the kitchen.

You will need chopping board, knife pot for pasta, frying pan, collander

2 chicken breasts sliced up, 4 spring onions finely sliced, 1/2 roasted red pepper finely chopped, 25g butter, 25g flour, 1/2 pint chicken stock, 1/2 lemon juiced, 1/4 pint single cream, 1/2 tsp rosemary, 1 clove garlic crushed, 1/2 dozen chives roughly chopped. Enough pasta for 4.

Cook enough pasta for 4. Cook chicken, garlic, spring onion, roasted pepper add in rosemary then set aside, melt butter add in flour over a medium heat removed from heat and gradually add in stock mixing thoroughly, add to heat and bring to bubble then reduce heat still stirring till thickened, add in cream and lemon juice and chopped chives stirring continously add in chicken and veg mix reduce heat. Plate up pasta then pour sauce over the top.

You can use the rind of the lemon and some of the chives as a garnish.

This goes great with roasted asparagus and stuffed mushroom sides

Cost for this is approx £5 serves 4 people.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello every body had a thought the other day as I buying loads of tins and packets and jars of pulses.

Jars are new to me and bought Chickpeas and Cannellini Beans bit more for your buck but good quality.

Anyway just made my own baked beans.

Seen them in the shops thought can I save here. Looked at the tin and the usual gunk in them. While I thought why I could make that so here is the recipe.

One Tin of Haricot Beans Drained

Add in flavourings and Spices 
    Half teaspoon of Onion and Garlic Powder
    Half Teaspoon Paprika
    Half Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
    Black Pepper to taste
    1 Teaspoon Tomato puree/ Tomato Ketchup
    In a saucepan with the beans add in stock cube crumbled in touch water.  Bring to boil simmer.

Does this also for added Curry powder 1 teaspoon.

Far better than shop bought and I know what is in it.

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    Since the weather has been so lovely here is a little ice lolly recipe.
    I bought from the poundshop about 15 years ago ice lolly molds, each one is 50ml so for all 12 it is a total of 600ml.

Strawberry ice loly.

you will need a blender, ice lolly molds and sticks/holders for the molds. (if you do not have any you can always use other molds you have or yoghurt pots, as long as you have a holder for it)

250g strawberries, 250ml plain yoghurt, 2 tbsp clear honey

Put in blender whizz up and pour into molds, freeze till ready, enjoy :)

Orange ice lollies

you will need a blender and ice lolly molds.

3-4 oranges, fresh orange juice to top up molds.

Blend oranges (whole fruit minus skin) pour into molds then add in as much fresh orange as needed to fill the molds.

ta da, easy peasy :)
  • fishingmum
    Have a friend coming around this morning so I will make a little something for us before she heads off on a journey.

brie, chard and roast pepper tartlet.

You will need baking tray, chopping board, knife, baking sheet, pastry cutter

Puff pastry (ready rolled sheet to make it simpler) Brie, as much as you are happy with topping the tartlets, 1 large roasted red pepper sliced, approx 100-150g chard (sorry I picked it from the garden and did not weigh it), chives a little butter to fry up the chard

using your pastry cutter, cut 6 circles and place on the baking sheet on your tray and pop into fridge.
    Gently cook the chard in the butter and sit to one side to cool. Slice up your red pepper. Take out your pre cut pastry and put a little chard on each followed by roasted red pepper and topped with brie, sprinkle with chives and pop in oven.
    180 or gas 4 for approx 20 minutes till golden brown and serve.

As I am doing this as a brunch style I will not be serving it with anything except a cuppa, if you were having it as a lunch you can always add in a side salad, or have a light soup before hand. If I had cherry tomatoes I would have put 1 sliced in half on top of the brie before cooking.

I got the brie on a reduced price for 1.19 for 400g which I will use the lot, that makes this dish approx £3.00 for 6 portions.

• fishingmum
    this is a free meal for me, so prices are approx and what I can find online to estimate it. I smoke the salmon myself, I often substitute the salmon for trout depending on what I have at the time it is hot smoked and not cold smoked but you could change it depending on preference. This is quite a lazy dish.

Smoked salmon frittata

you will need chopping board, knife, frying pan, oven tray ( i do this one in the oven as it is large and I can be lazy sometimes) a jug, whisk

12 eggs, 4 spring onions sliced, 100g spinach, 200g salmon,1/2 courgette sliced, 1/2 dozen(ish) chives chopped, 10 fresh basil leaves a little water, a little oil,  s & p to taste.

Crack open all the eggs in a jug add a little water and whisk well add in salt pepper if you wish, In the frying pan, gently fry sping onion and courgette, once ready transfer to your oven tray. Break up your salmon and sit around the tray pour over the egg mix, now add on the spinach leaves and basil and gently push under the surface of the egg mix.

Pop in oven at 180 for 20 minutes (approx) till it is ready and there you go easy dish for lazy nights. Normally served with side salad and garlic bread

Going online for prices I was shocked as this meal would be about £7, I looked at both salmon and trout prices and both were expensive, mackerel could be used instead.

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @fishingmum will you please adopt me I’m only 49?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
  • fishingmum
    @debbiedo49 hahahaha @Victoriad I love the easy quick dishes myself lol I use approvedfood often to buy dried stuff when they have them in stock, they recently done 2 packs of tortillas for £1.50, sometimes it is 2 for £1.00 so when they have them on offer I normally bulk buy them, a quick dinner or lunch. I often make them using lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber thinly sliced then halved and tuna mayo or cheese and onion mayo and put it in the tortilla, makes a great lunch for the kids and works out pretty cheap as well.

I also make my own seasoning for them, and I have used it for a variety of meats to go in the tortillas. I normally make a big batch and store it in an air tight tub, so I only take out what I am needing.

fajita seasoning, 4tsp chilli powder, 4 tsp paprika, 4 tsp garlic powder, 4 tsp cumin, 2 tsp oregano, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 4tsp onion granules, 2tbsp brown sugar, mix well and store till needed.

I ahve family coming up this weekend, 3 nephews all adults with big appetites, so I am doing basically take away style meals, as we will be on the go a lot and by the time I get in at night, I want something premade and ready in minutes.

On the Friday night I am doing pizzas, on Saturday, lunch will be mixed puff pastry dishes, Saturday night will be kebabs and Sunday lunch will be a lasagne, all this I can pre do so I spend little time in the kitchen when they are here. So will get some recipes put up for that lot. hope you are all getting good weather and getting out and about :)
  • [Deleted User]
  • fishingmum
    @Victoriad I make my own dough, but for 10 years I made and sold pizzas and pastas, at the time I was doing it a basic 9 inch margherita was about £8 so not surprised to hear that they sell for about £20 now. for £1.18 I can make 10 doughs so I am cheaper off making it.

Tonight I was given 2 spring greens, (giant cabbage leaves) which since I had left over rice from the chilli I made I thought I would stuff them.

You will need chopping board, knife, frying pan, wide pot, oven proof dish

4 spring green leaves (depending on size cut in half), 150g rice cooked, 4 mushrooms finely chopped, 1 red onion finely chopped,1 spring onion roughly chopped, 40g pistachio nuts finely chopped, 1/2 dozen chives roughly chopped, 2 cloves of garlic minced, 1tsp chopped corriander, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1tsp mixed herb, 50ml vegetable stock, a little oil, 2 lemons sliced, olive oil

Using 4 leaves, blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes, take out put in cold water then take out and pat dry.

In the frying pan add in your oil, cook mushrooms, onion, spring onion then add in pistachios after a minute add in the rest of the ingredients including rice and stock (not the lemon) cook for further 2-3 minutes, once liquid is absorbed take off heat.
    In the oven proof dish lay down a layer of lemons and add a little olive oil over the top.
    Lay your spring greens down flat and take the mixture and stuff them rolling up and folding in the edges as you go, place in the oven proof dish on top of the lemons, continue till it is all finished and in the dish on top of the lemons, pour a little olive over the top and put in the oven for 15 minutes at 180.

Best served with a little plain yoghurt for dipping and some slices of lemon to add a little zing.

Cost for this approx £2.50 and serves 4

This can have other items added in such as strips of bacon, or spinach what ever you like add in for a tasty meal.

• [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m hanging my head in shame!

Micowaved Mac cheese was my dinner!  :(

I used to cook from scratch everyday, not anymore 
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness