My child is turning 16 soon, how will benefits change? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My child is turning 16 soon, how will benefits change?

Options
AussieAMC
AussieAMC Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello.  I joined the forum for help and support.  My child is turning 16 in October.  He is severely physically and intellectually disabled.  He attends school 5 days a week 8:30 to 15:00. 
He will never be a candidate for war and needs 24x7 care.  I have been told there will be a lot of change to how I need to deal with benefits once he is 16.  I am overwhelmed by what this actually means and would appreciate any practical advice form parents who have been through this.  

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @AussieAMC and a warm welcome to the community. Very glad you have found us.
    Although sadly I'm not one of them, we do have some excellent benefits advisors here in the community and they will be in touch with you as soon as possible. We may very well also have members who have been through a similar situation, and they should be in touch with you as your post filters through to them.
    Please do keep in touch.
    Warmest best wishes to you
    Richard
    @JennysDad
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello AussieAMC

It can be extremely stressful when not knowing how things will change, and where to start with any possible changes.

The first thing to say is if your son will be staying at school/college there may be a reduced amount of change to any benefits you receive.  This is because if a child stays in education you may still be seen as being responsible for a child and continue to claim e.g. Child Benefit/Child Tax Credit. So, as your son is 16 years of age in October, will he finish secondary education in the summer of 2019? If so, then your benefits may be unaffected apart from the change detailed below. 

A definite change when people reach 16 years of age, is if they are on DLA, they will be invited to claim PIP before their 16th birthday. If your son is awarded PIP at equivalent rates of DLA then your benefits you receive may be unaffected. If your son is refused PIP and in particular daily living then this may effect benefit entitlement.  I have put a link below to information on PIP on the Scope website:

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/pip

Does your son have a social worker?  If so, it maybe worth contacting them for help with this significant transition period.

Please post again if you need further help.  It would also be useful to know what benefits you or your son receive at the moment. 

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.