PIP not renewing until 2020 but things have gotten worse. Should I apply again? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP not renewing until 2020 but things have gotten worse. Should I apply again?

diamonds45
diamonds45 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I ain't been on here before but I am looking for some advise. I'm on pip and get standard rate care and low mobility. And it's not renewed till 2020. But a lot has changed and things r worse. Am i allowed to reapply as I have been told off several people I should apply again 

Comments

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    you can but you will be reassessed and could get less in the end also as soon as a new claim starts they will stop your money until after your new award is finalised 
    You will get a review in 2019 anyway 
    A bird in hand is worth more than two in a bush as they say 
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Hi im a fair world I would say yes. I've reviewed mine though for same reason it's turning intoo a hellish event .personally I wouldent 
  • aaronw3440
    aaronw3440 Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    edited June 2018
    You need to report the change as it's got worse dwp bind you to report whether it's got worse or better and if you don't you could face being investigated and possibly prosecuted  for fraud you'll continue getting payments until a decision has been made 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Though a condition has got worse that does not necessarily mean that how it affects you has changed significantly.

Several people have reported a condition as having got worse and their assessor has decided that their condition has got better, not worse!

Think carefully before you report a condition as having got worse.
  • littleruthie123
    Dident see any one saying risk!.don't really see your point here. Apart from having a dig at the people who commented ?.of course let here's a financial risk .were dependant on that money too survive! .any if cases were handled fairly there wouldent be a worry of risk .which can be the difference too paying bills eating etc .perhaps people's unhelpful digs at others should be hit on the head!
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    Dident see any one saying risk!.don't really see your point here. Apart from having a dig at the people who commented ?.of course let here's a financial risk .were dependant on that money too survive! .any if cases were handled fairly there wouldent be a worry of risk .which can be the difference too paying bills eating etc .perhaps people's unhelpful digs at others should be hit on the head!
    I'm sorry but I think Mike has a point. Whilst the word 'risk' does not appear in the posts, the contents of those posts allude to there being a 'risk' without actually saying it..
    And at the 'risk' of saying this, I find it extremely difficult to believe that a PIP award if taken away would mean the difference between survival and non survival and is detrimental to the ability to pay bills eating etc 
    PIP is not a benefit that is added to the general household pot to pay for every day costs it is paid to
    help with the extra costs of a long-term health condition or disability.
    Other benefits are to cover the every day costs of living such as ESA, JSA and the State Pension etc.  

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
     Even more true since it became a route out of the benefit cap sadly.
    I didn't know that. So for all intents and purposes it is in everybody's interest to seek or attempt to claim PIP whether it is for a real or perceived reason where the benefit cap applies on the basis of nothing ventured, nothing gained.  

And there is me naïve once again. 
  • littleruthie123
    Yes here we go again .are these meant too be positive comments ...did I day p.I. p is spare money too put in the household pot!..I use my phone. I.pray for what it's meant for thank you .you no nothing about my personal situation.if you have nothing descent too say apart from jumping on the bandwagon as usual .the person was asking for our opinion! !!!..too many apparent ex parts on here on fortunately who think teresa professional advisers. 
  • littleruthie123
    And yes Mike have a point .we all have different points and options. And hats all they are 
  • littleruthie123
    Good for you .such empathy and kindness 
  • littleruthie123
    Move on Mike. Telling people that simplistic comments and answers should be knocked on the head .and giving poor advice is close too nonsense is rude simple as .your sound like a child with silly threats .read your own horrible comments .if you give it out ...........
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    In your award letter it clearly states if there is a change in your srucumstances or condition you are to notify the DWP. My mobility had got worst 12months since my last PIP acessment so informed DWP filled in new claim form had f2f and my award was upgraded from standard mobility to enhanced. As I expected I could have stayed the same and not informed the DWP as I had my own mobility scooters and own car but I am better off but wish I was self mobile and able to work. Mike keep posting some people want something for nothing.
  • littleruthie123
    Sorry who wants something for nothing?
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger

Morning everyone. Please remember that we want the community to be a safe and supportive place for all. Please make sure your messages respect other users’ views and suggestions, even if you don’t agree with them.

Take care to present your views tactfully and remember that humour may be misinterpreted. 

• paul67
    paul67 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Afternoon 
    I was awarded  standard for both parts of pip claim, and appealed  with 3 tribunals  and still didn't get increase until I informed  them my condition  was worsening, after another f2f got full pip for living and mobility, got a good f2f with someone  that did report with great detail and took time to listen , my experience  is to follow rules of system inform them of your  changes and while they were looking at change in circumstances  and condition was still paid standard rate.

Good luck 
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @diamonds45
                            Please be aware that if your present award was given to you until 2020 for example mine was from 2017 for 3 years also up to 2020, they do the reviews a year early in 2019 which isn't too far away. 
  • kass
    kass Community member Posts: 65 Connected
    Hi all
    I got pip in 2016 till may this year I have no letters as yet for review and it only a few months away be for my pip runs out should I ring them or leave it abit longer 

Thank you

• paul67
    paul67 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Me personally  would  contact them but that's me very impatient, my last f2f  was a cancellation  2 days after I contacted  them .it's what is best for you and  your situation.
  • Miss_Annmarie
    Miss_Annmarie Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Hi Everyone, i am new here, stumbling upon this thread whilst looking for information on requesting an early review, may i just point out before i ask my question, PIP is to some people a lifeline, The new universal credit system is slow and cumbersome, and when you are awarded you get a maximum of £317.82 a month excluding your rent unless you are deemed fit not to work, then i be-leave you get extra, this is to pay for everything you need to run a home, so people come to rely on the extra pip money.

so here is my question, after reading this i am now extremely worried about asking for a review, as my condition has got much worse over the last 12 months, and i struggle to get around, currently i only get the basic care component, and was hoping to try and get the mobility component, my worry is that my money will be stopped until this decision has been made, as stated in the beginning of the thread, is this actually the case?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Everyone, i am new here, stumbling upon this thread whilst looking for information on requesting an early review, may i just point out before i ask my question, PIP is to some people a lifeline, The new universal credit system is slow and cumbersome, and when you are awarded you get a maximum of £317.82 a month excluding your rent unless you are deemed fit not to work, then i be-leave you get extra, this is to pay for everything you need to run a home, so people come to rely on the extra pip money.

so here is my question, after reading this i am now extremely worried about asking for a review, as my condition has got much worse over the last 12 months, and i struggle to get around, currently i only get the basic care component, and was hoping to try and get the mobility component, my worry is that my money will be stopped until this decision has been made, as stated in the beginning of the thread, is this actually the case?
    For UC there's other elements paid but it will depend on circumstances what you receive. People with dependent children for example, will receive the child element and if the child is disabled they will receive extra for that. It's just the 2 elements you mentioned but as advised, it does depend on circumstances.

For your PIP then if you report a worsening of condition then your PIP will continue until a decision's been made on the changes.

I will advice you to get face to face expert advice before reporting those changes. Lots of people have done exactly this and gone on to lose everything they already have. It's always a risk to report a worsening condition.

If you do report changes then you'll need evidence to support your claim and expect another face to face assessment as most people have them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.