DWP / ESA how can they improve their treatment of disabled people? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP / ESA how can they improve their treatment of disabled people?

bevt2017
bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
Hi everyone!

I have an appointment tomorrow with a gentleman who use to work at "Remploy" and now works for the jobcentre on a temporary basis.
The jobcentre have taken him on, to find out how they and DWP can improve their treatment of disabled people? and what needs to change?.

Ive spent most of the day on the computer, writing down things I would like them to improve on and how DWP have treated me for 2years.

I have only been given half an hour, so I want to cram in as much as I can.
The reason being there are other disabled people going at different times.

if you could change anything what would it be?
thanks for any replies
bev 

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Id like the law to treat hate crime against disabled persons the same as hate crime against people of colour and religion.
    Please improve on these discriptions if you can 
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    I feel like we're often treated with suspicion and disbelief. It's certainly no life of reliey.it's damn hard and  not something we're opted intoo .I think mental health is paticularly poorly judged.and also patients with less visible disabilities get it even harder .it can make you feel less than human .....
  • bevt2017
    Thank you! 

I will let you know how I get on?
    Hopefully this is happening everywhere?.
    Bev x
  • cathie
    cathie Community member Posts: 143 Courageous
    I would change the fact that interviewing staff not only have 0 people's skill  but also form an option of you before they even meet you which is your a lair a cheat a pounce and clearly just out to rob the system  I wouldn't mind if I could go to work and earn I sure as he'll would.nt rely on there few quid
    Only me .. cathie..
  • bevt2017
    Hi @cathie

Absolutely! 
    Couldn't agree with you more.
    That has also happened to me.
    Bev x
  • Misscleo
    The more bad behaviour gets in the press the more neighbours. Family and even strangers think they have a right to be agresive towards disabled people.
    Noone should think they have a right to abuse disabled people. 
    We need more arrests for hate crime 
  • bevt2017
    Good morning @Misscleo

Thank you again for all your replys. 

I really do hope this guy listens and puts forward all these issues raised.

Bev x
  • littleruthie123
    Also people that have been through aggressive treatments are being left with permanent disabilities this is a widespread problem. .and are then being badgers too get back too work .good luck x
  • bevt2017
    Hi everyone!

Thank you so much to everyone who responded to my discussion, and the information you have given me, has been passed on.

I just wanted to add, that there has been a bit of confusion to wear the meeting was suppose to take place. I thought the interviews were being held at the job centre, when infact they were being held at my local deaf society.
    Also these interviews are being held at other organisations including people who suffer with mental health.

I should of only had half an hour for the meeting, but they let me talk for an hour and a half. :)

when I went to the meeting, there were 2 gentleman taking the interviews. one gentleman was a disability employment adviser and the other was "PAN" disability(temporary contract).

These meetings were requested by the jobcentre, to speak with disabled people who have been through the ESA or P.I.P process.

Reason for this?
    1) To identify problem areas
    2) To try and amend / change the process.
    3) To make the organisations aware of the frustrations of disabled people within those systems. 
    4) To develop a plan of change to improve these systems.

They were blown away by how organised I was, and how the disabled community at "scope" spent time to write down their comments about how things needed to be changed. They said the list I had given them was going to be very helpful.

The information I took to the meeting:- 
    1) A typed letter with information the community wanted to say.
    2) A dairy of when I first contacted DWP with dates when I had my assessment, carers allowance, court case etc  to the present date.
    3) All the information I have sent to DWP I.e doctors letters, hospital letters, appointment letters. prescription letters, a dairy of what procedures I have had, diagnosis  etc with dates and doctors I was seen by.
    4) My assessment report, my complaint to ATOS and the apology letter I received form IAS.
    5) Two complaints letters, one was to my MP.
    6) And I typed out a letter telling them how DWP have treated me, and what changes I would like to change.

They told me when they have gathered all the information they need, they will be having meetings with senior members of both ESA and DWP. 

They both agreed that the way I have been treated was shocking and that I have highlighted that the system needs to be streamlined and speeded up.

They were also gobsmacked by my experience with ATOS and they will be putting this to DWP, because ATOS are representing DWP and their actions reflect on that department.

Both of the gentleman listened to what I had to say, they were very polite and friendly. if any of the community get the chance to attend this meeting, I would really recommend you do so.

I didn't get any sleep last night, so I'm having a few hours rest I'm exhausted. 

Thank you again everyone
    bev x
  • bevt2017
    Hi @thespiceman

Thank you for your support 
    bev x
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done, @bevt2017! It sounds like you made a really good impression, and fingers crossed this will lead to something really positive! 
  • littleruthie123
    Brilliant bev good for you .and thank you for letting us have our say .more of this can only be positive .I hope your hard work and alot stress you've been through can be part of something positive .
  • bevt2017
    Hi @Pippa_Scope

Sorry i really needed to get some sleep.

Well I hope so too? It does sound very promasing. Disabled people are being put through unessasary stress and upset, and the system deffantatly needs to change.

Bev x
  • bevt2017
    Hi @littleruthie123

Thank you,!
    You have every right to be heard.

If changes are made? You have been apart of the process to.

If I hear anything back from them? I will let you know.
    Thanks 
    Bev x
  • Misscleo
    Looking good folks 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    bevt2017 said:
    Hi everyone!

Thank you so much to everyone who responded to my discussion, and the information you have given me, has been passed on.

I just wanted to add, that there has been a bit of confusion to wear the meeting was suppose to take place. I thought the interviews were being held at the job centre, when infact they were being held at my local deaf society.
    Also these interviews are being held at other organisations including people who suffer with mental health.

I should of only had half an hour for the meeting, but they let me talk for an hour and a half. :)

when I went to the meeting, there were 2 gentleman taking the interviews. one gentleman was a disability employment adviser and the other was "PAN" disability(temporary contract).

These meetings were requested by the jobcentre, to speak with disabled people who have been through the ESA or P.I.P process.

Reason for this?
    1) To identify problem areas
    2) To try and amend / change the process.
    3) To make the organisations aware of the frustrations of disabled people within those systems. 
    4) To develop a plan of change to improve these systems.

They were blown away by how organised I was, and how the disabled community at "scope" spent time to write down their comments about how things needed to be changed. They said the list I had given them was going to be very helpful.

The information I took to the meeting:- 
    1) A typed letter with information the community wanted to say.
    2) A dairy of when I first contacted DWP with dates when I had my assessment, carers allowance, court case etc  to the present date.
    3) All the information I have sent to DWP I.e doctors letters, hospital letters, appointment letters. prescription letters, a dairy of what procedures I have had, diagnosis  etc with dates and doctors I was seen by.
    4) My assessment report, my complaint to ATOS and the apology letter I received form IAS.
    5) Two complaints letters, one was to my MP.
    6) And I typed out a letter telling them how DWP have treated me, and what changes I would like to change.

They told me when they have gathered all the information they need, they will be having meetings with senior members of both ESA and DWP. 

They both agreed that the way I have been treated was shocking and that I have highlighted that the system needs to be streamlined and speeded up.

They were also gobsmacked by my experience with ATOS and they will be putting this to DWP, because ATOS are representing DWP and their actions reflect on that department.

Both of the gentleman listened to what I had to say, they were very polite and friendly. if any of the community get the chance to attend this meeting, I would really recommend you do so.

I didn't get any sleep last night, so I'm having a few hours rest I'm exhausted. 

Thank you again everyone
    bev x
    Well done. A word to the wise. There already have been two in-depth independent reviews in the past 5 years carried out for the government for the very same reason - what can we do to improve the PIP process. The government's/DWP replies were either - no way we are doing that and we are working on it.
    Then we have the same questions being asked by MP's of the SOS and getting non committal replies. The latest was the large investigation carried out by the select committee which slated the government and the DWP. All we are told is that they are working on it.

Not with standing all of that, I am extremely sceptical that there will be any changes. In fact the government have recently announced that they are extending the PIP contracts (CAPITA & ATOS) by a further two years.

They listen but do they actually hear? 
  • Misscleo
    Stop the rubbish about how far disabled people can walk.
    Why would be walking when in server pain?
    The staff lie about whats said anyway so cut it out of the conversation 
  • littleruthie123
    Yes not nice too be treated like we're incompetent brainless liars woukd be great ?
  • littleruthie123
    I'd love for them too come on websites like tis and read through all the awful stories driving some too suicidal thoughts and worse .and it does seem too be getting worse .?
  • bevt2017
    @Yadnad

Sorry if you think it's Been a waste of time. And I can understand that your sceptical, "and so am I".
    But if we all give up trying to change the system and stop speaking up nothing will ever change.

I did also ask them if they knew about "scope" they both said yes. Which I then replied, you need to read what disabled people have to go through with DWP, assessments, tribunals etc to know the system doesn't work. 

I don't know what will happen? Or if they are serious about change? But at least I tried.

Brightness