How can I show that I'm disabled? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I show that I'm disabled?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    Hi @Victoriad, just to clarify, the poster's wife has Crohns disease and early osteoarthritis. She works and so doesn't presently need to claim benefits, but the query is related to how to 'identify' yourself as disabled and make sure their other additional needs are met, without receiving a disability payment. This is a common issue that many of our community members have experienced, especially if their illness is hidden or invisible. Hope that helps to clear things up! 
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Victoriad said:

Your answer is in your own post above......”to make a claim when you don’t need to”.

If you are disabled you make a claim.....if you are not disabled....quote “to make a claim when you don’t need to”
    @Victoriad so if you don't make a claim you are not disabled?? Kind of proving his point that the only way to be accepted as having a disability is if you are in receipt of PIP.

It also means that if you would not qualify for PIP then you cannot be disabled?

Also what is wrong with cherry picking those 'perks' that help the individual to carry on being independent? Either you grab everything that is on offer, regardless if you want it or not, or go without?

Oh well that is some good news. As I have never applied for PIP and would not qualify if I did I am obviously not disabled, until I can prove otherwise by getting PIP. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• [Deleted User]
  • Geoark
    edited June 2018
    @Victoriad

Good as I have no intention of asking or have any interesting in knowing.

.and may I say this also explains why greater numbers of the public,and several posters on the forum ( who are actually disabled) are getting mighty cheesed off by “disabled” people eg persons not disabled sufficiently enough, to claim benefits (that are rigorously tested by medical evidence and interview).... cherry picking these perks because  of their ‘“ additional needs”......

we can all have “additional needs” at times, such as skipping queues, getting free companion tickets, blue badges to park easily and avoid parking charges with some councils......great getting all this without actual physical or mental health disability?

All you had  to say was yes, if you don't get PIP you cannot be disabled.

Just to clarify one point you chose to raise, are you saying free carer tickets should not be given to people enabling disabled people to be part of society, or that carers should themselves be 'suitably disabled' before qualifying for one?

Surprised that you consider a system which has nearly 70% failure rate at appeal as a rigorous form of testing for qualifying a person the right to be classed as disabled.

As was pointed out the OP was asking for his wife, with Crohns Disease and Osteoarthritis, not for himself.

Those selfish people cherry picking these so called benefits are really individuals with an inflated sense of entitlement and are the first in the queue for what ever is going free, to the detriment of the disabled. 

I assume you mean the 'genuinly disabled people' as defined by you and some others on here?

• [Deleted User]
  • Geoark
    @Victoriad

Using caps is shouting, I use bold when highlighting what someone else has said.

No, I do not have a problem understanding that people can be disabled without getting benefits. You chose in your argument to distinguish between 'disabled' people and disabled people like yourself who are disabled and getting disability benefits. Your words "( who are actually disabled)"

You are the one who said people should not be cherry picking, if you don't cherry  pick then you must be taking everything that you are entitled to regardless if you need it or not.

"My problem is with people and others outwith this category, such as your dear self, who have an inflated sense of entitlement shown by your statement of....
     “ Either you grab everything that’s on offer, regardless of whether you want it or not”

Your use of the words  “grab” and “want” really say it all."

Good example of taking words out of context to make up an argument. How clever of you. By all means show me where I have asked anywhere on this forum how I can get something you feel I am not entitled to, or entitled to.

Again your words:

Now if you can stop contradicting yourself there would be less need to make assumptions.

"we can all have “additional needs” at times, such as skipping queues, getting free companion tickets,"

Either companion or carer, the person is there to help the disabled people access the event/activity. In that capacity they are either entitled to a free ticket or not.

• [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • Geoark

Actually my words were in response to your post, not the opening post.

You are the one objecting to people cherry picking what perks, benefits or what ever else you would like to call them. My point, and I am sorry as I didn't realise it was too subtle, was if  someone does not cherry pick what perks - as it is your favoured word - they want then the alternatives are you either do not bother, or take everything you can which is what you were saying.

That said you obviously want me to shut up, so I will.

• magunra2k
    magunra2k Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    well that escalated quickly, I showed my wife this thread, I typed the question on her behalf because she's currently without the use of her fingers and thumbs , i have to say she was quite upset at alot of the comments particularly from victoria,
    Shes finding adjusting to life hard enough, she was genuinely looking for the answer and has since decided to not apply for PIP as she now thinks she probably isnt disabled enough and doesnt want to seem like she is cherry picking benefits . 
    So thanks for that, thats shopping trips with her daughter scuppered ,alot of holidays now out of the question, some of the "perks" may have made life a bit more tolerable while not needing the money aspect .
    thank you pippa for the access card info 
  • Geoark
    @magunra2k

I am sorry to hear that your wife has been upset by the discussion. As with any group of people we have people with different views and sometimes things can get heated.

Unfortunately there is no single answer to your question, and as mentioned for the concessions available you would need to meet the particular criteria they set. 

For PIP take a look at https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system it will help your wife to decide if she would likely qualify or not.

As for 'cherry picking' it is something most of us do all the time, also known as making a choice. There is nothing wrong with your wife making the choices which best suit her needs.

Sadly one reality of having disabilities is that someone somewhere will find reason to criticise you, it doesn't mean they are right. 

• magunra2k
    magunra2k Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Geoark said:
    @magunra2k

I am sorry to hear that your wife has been upset by the discussion. As with any group of people we have people with different views and sometimes things can get heated.

Unfortunately there is no single answer to your question, and as mentioned for the concessions available you would need to meet the particular criteria they set. 

For PIP take a look at https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system it will help your wife to decide if she would likely qualify or not.

As for 'cherry picking' it is something most of us do all the time, also known as making a choice. There is nothing wrong with your wife making the choices which best suit her needs.

Sadly one reality of having disabilities is that someone somewhere will find reason to criticise you, it doesn't mean they are right. 

Thank you for your advice in this matter, i honestly never expected that my questions about this whole thing would cause certain people to get so hot under the collar, my wife and I really just wanted to get her a little help with somethings that would make life a bit easier, yes we are lucky in that we dont need the money
    but there are certain things people with disabilities can access that are nothing to do with money, yes they maybe a benefit, but they are not monetary, maybe i should have worded the initial question differently or missed out the part about not needing money. Anyway thanks again to those who contributed . 

Brightness