Pip appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip appeal

Options
Cat29
Cat29 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone am new to this. Am really just enquiring if I can appeal a pip desision. I did get turned down after assessmnt which was really humiliatng. But was told by my doctor to do a MR. Which have just been informed I did get which is £22 a week am finding it all confusing and so stressful.  I am a support worker and at to leave work due to an injury in work labreal tear in hip that was last August my injury happend in the February last year 2017 but thought it was a groin strain was told by doctor so carried on working 12hour shifts and do alot of walking, to the point I couldn't walk no more then was diagnosed with labreal tear and osteoarthritis of the hip. Have been in so much pain and find it very difficult to walk so now use an aid but really don' go out much. I have been told by my surgeon I will need a full hip replacement. Am 48. I have also been diagnosed with large fibroid and cysts on my ovaries am bleeding really bad and in constant pain and been referred to a gynocoligist, who have basically said will most probably need a full hysterectomy. Am so sorry this is long winded just don't no who to talk to or to get advice of. I also went for ESA assessment and waiting on there decison. I want nothing more than to get back into work but I am just a mess with everthing at the moment. Any advice would be appreciated thankyou. Catherine.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • tina1888
    tina1888 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your pain. How did you get on?
  • dodo76
    dodo76 Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Options
    Sorry to hear the trouble your having with the dwp 
    It seems like the groverment are going all out to make any benifit payments a total nightmare for any one trying to claim 
    I hope some one is able to help you 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    dodo76 said:
    Sorry to hear the trouble your having with the dwp 
    It seems like the groverment are going all out to make any benifit payments a total nightmare for any one trying to claim 
    I hope some one is able to help you 

It's called 'tying the knot a little tighter'.
    But you do have also to bear in mind that over 90% actually get a PIP award.
  • dodo76
    Options
    Yadnad 
    The issue i have with the dwp is that its been proven that they are not following their own guild line 
    We on our appeal over 14 months ago and the dwp really have messed us around because of their error in the way the have followed they guild lines 
    If 90 % of case are been awarded why do so many people have to appeal the dwp 

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    dodo76 said:
    Yadnad 
    The issue i have with the dwp is that its been proven that they are not following their own guild line 
    We on our appeal over 14 months ago and the dwp really have messed us around because of their error in the way the have followed they guild lines 
    If 90 % of case are been awarded why do so many people have to appeal the dwp 

I do agree with you, I am having a friendly discussion about this with Mike [removed by moderator] on another thread.
    It's quite entertaining that not only what is said (or not said to be precise) in the regulations but also what was reiterated by the independent review of PIP in 2014 yet the DWP bury their head in the sand and decide that it doesn't affect their way or working.
    All I can say is that the way they see things and pass them off as a legal requirement is something that I would not have tolerated if I had been their line manager. 
    By the way even their guidance is not law, it is nothing more than the DWP's own interpretation of what the law seems to say from their point of view.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    @Yadnad , no idea where you got your numbers from, but you're way off. According to DWP reports, and including data from April 2013 to January 2018:

55.7% of people who apply get PIP. 
    That's nowhere near 90%. 

45% of new claims and 72% of DLA->PIP claims resulted in an award.

@dodo76
  • Waylay
    Options
    Oh, and the numbers are from the Personal Independence Payment: Quarterly Official Statistics (Data to January 2018), published 21 March 2018 by the DWP.
  • dodo76
    Options
    First  my personal view or take on this whole issue of pip is that the dwp as so many floors in the way it is dealing with this benifit 
    I personal can say the stress of the claim for pip as been on going for almost 2 years in my view if the dwp dont follow there own guild lines because they keep moving the goal post the public will have no or very faith in them the appeal courts are now over run with appeal and even if you do win your not forced to get the awarded benifit with out having to face many more battles with the dwp looking at the stasts shown its not that high a rate its hard enought when your have something that impacts on your life to deal with with out having to deal with the stress n worry claiming pip can bring 
  • Waylay
    Options
    Definitely agree with all you just wrote, @dodo76! Just not the 90% statistic. :)
  • Cat29
    Cat29 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your comments. I just find it all so stressful I just want to give up have been such an emotional wreck with it all am having server panic attackes and bad anxiety sucidal thoughts really server migraines . Just feel like can't do this no more. Am now suffering pains in my arms been referred for a scan doctor thinks it burtitis dosent seem to end latley. Doctor as put me on Mirtazapine really don't feel myself. My tribunal paper work as come through I really don't no how it works I do have representive from CAB have an appointment with her soon. But I was told everthing else am going through doesn't matter they are just looking at labral tear and osteoarthritis of the hip. Which I find so strange when this as affected my whole life. Sorry for going on any advice would be appreciated. 
  • Booker1234
    Booker1234 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Options
    Hi MIKEHUG,
                         One thing for sure is this you can read how to learn to swim but that dosent mean you CAN? This is not a reply slagging you off, by no means,its great to have debate and opinions. And I will ask and reply to the above.
    please excuse my spelling and any I get wrong. And there be plenty of that,
    I would firstly guess Mikehug you have never applied for PIP? Due to some of your statements. As Follows, maybe not in order.
    1) No point in asking a question of you’ve already decided the answer. ---
    Who does that doctor?
    2) The OP reads like their ought to be more than 1 answer to each question but then there isn’t. One of the Qs is even labelled an A. If DWP were that lax they would rightly be pulled apart. So, if you actually want anything to change, tighten up your text; identify the issue and propose solutions.
    Proprose solutions? Why do we get a PIP form with thier questions? and pick from thier answers? MY Propose to solutions are never taken seriously? Bit like you said you know the anwser, why propose a solution?
    3) same as above.
    4) Money that the Dissabled People are losing, which is causing Distress, They over budget because of your answer in 1)
    5) Private companies do not make PIP decisions. You can’t talk of them revoking anything if they actually don’t. They produce reports which DWP DMs take account of along with all other evidence. Again, no-one will listen if you can’t accurateky describe the process you’re complaining about.
    WRONG--- we were asked, no told to visit one of these Companies. had interview, 3 days later told NO POINTS your request for PIP denied.Your money will be stopped,By this Company.
    6) No Comment
    7) There are several threads on here where people with mental health issues have raised objections to being asked why they haven’t killed themselves by a HCP. I cannot imagine any circumstances where it would somehow be appropriate to ask all claimants how they might feel if they lost their PIP.  There are several threads on here where people with mental health issues have raised objections to being asked why they haven’t killed themselves by a HCP. I cannot imagine any circumstances where it would somehow be appropriate to ask all claimants how they might feel if they lost their PIP. Hideously inappropriate doesn’t even begin to cover that suggestion.
    More Dissabled persons feel Suicidal after losing thier PIP and thier claim to this you say:  Hideously inappropriate doesn’t even begin to cover that suggestion.: I say let people have the right to say how they loseing the PIP affects them, as those who dont like the question.
    8) DWP have done research on who appeals etc. and it has recently been published. So much for the idea they don’t ask the 35%. The 35% is also inaccurate. You can read it all at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/738926/personal-independence-payment-claimant-research-final-report.pdf.
    Do you work for the GOVERMENT? Don't answer that. ok you done research so tell me THIS. How many million dissabled persons which all have been notified of PIP will LOSE thier Benitfits because  they never replied to PIP letters?
    The sad Answer is, you don;t know? When these persons get thier money stopped in 2 weeks time, is when the xxxx hits the fan as they say. MILLION or MORE will protest like no other, families, doctors, all sorts of people will support thier actions, The new PIP will have to be disbaned not fit for purpose.END OF.
    9) When you claim PIP you are required to prove your entitlement not the DWP. That gives you a clear opportunity to produce statements from your family. Indeed the claim pack offers that explicit opportunity. How it “runs a normal day is irrelevant. The test is one of functional ability.
    Now why so many MILLION never answered letters 9) claim pack? whats that? asked to prove? What about they have been paying me dissabilty allowance for TEN years? family statements how depressing thats going to be? functional ability? my wife says what do'es that mean? A MILLION REASONS WHY THEY NEVER REPLIED TO LETTERS FROM PIP.
    10) TRUE
    11) I’ve no idea where this 1m losing PIP in the next 3 weeks is coming from. I’m going to call it as nonsense and wait for the link to prove me wrong. Again, if you scaremonger and get basic facts wrong no-one will take you seriously. AS IVE SAID, ALL THOSE THAT HAVE NOT REPLIED TO PIP LETTERS WILL AUTOMATICLY LOSE THIER ENTITLEMENT AS LETTERS SENT TO ALL SAY.THATS HOW I KNOW YOU NEVER BEEN ASKED BY PIP. OR YOU WOULD KNOW THIS.
    12) What on earth does institutional abuse have to do with any of this?  SORRY don't understand question.
    All said and done, above is my opinion, my answers my questions, which i hope I haven't offen or alarmed any. thanks all xxx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.