CANNOT GET AN ADVOCATE FOR PIP ASSESSMENT WHEN IT COMES — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CANNOT GET AN ADVOCATE FOR PIP ASSESSMENT WHEN IT COMES

Options
thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every body just some information that they many organisations do not supply advocates to attend with you for face to face assessments.

Spent a morning looking on line.  Have spent some time with a on line advisor.    From a mental health charity.

They do some organisations will attend appeals and tribunals and help with other things connected.  Some will charge found that out as well.

This is a surprise and a shock for me. Any body would be in the same position. Yet CAB or welfare rights or other organisations whether mental or physical will attend. Only at appeals or tribunals.

Unfortunately this is not good enough in my opinion.  All these community organisation do good jobs for helping and assisting our community. Grateful for that. Yet not at any face to face assessments please can any body tell me why? 

I understand we as a community find these assessments and the rest tribunals, appeals whatever.  This is not intended to scare or fright any body just need to enlighten that we as a community are asking for dignity and respect.

Not be a performing seal doing pointless worthless exercises in the middle of the floor.  How many more times.

Am I doing this till I am an old gent into my sixties and seventies.  Trying to prove who am I and I need help and support but am living on an island surrounded by sharks.  Who have more concern over there jobsworth and attitude to us all this community.  Dip your toe in the water pleading for some answers and feel the pain and do not go into the water or we will bite and cause you to bleed.

One loud voice to wants to be with others in unison but no body is listening out there.

So my lovely friends of the forum we all need to support each other in our quest. Always pray and in thoughts for those who like me.

Take care speak to you all again

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi mate I think the real reason is cost. The financial cost and time cost are we worth the effort £ for £. Is it cost effective for the time and effort to maybe get a result??? 
  • thespiceman
    Options
    Hello @wilko Great to talk to you thanks for the comments. Please can I add the situation warrants some one out there to fill this void. Yes it all about money. Of course it is everything about money.

Remember this is why the Motability scheme halts at 64 years of age for most of the drivers on the scheme.

The other big issues are why is this not being supported by various charities.   All who have our community at heart our interests but then again why not.

Understand we are in a battle here and need to get the heart of these issues and only solution is to start to listen and have along the way support no matter what the cost and the outcome is.

One website contacted them already as soon as the niceties over you hit a page on costs. Straight away confusion already. The two prices offer literally the same services. So what is the difference there..

When I was in a mental health charity just left with the words ringing in my ears do not ring us again.  Charming, lovely that is. Anyway supposed to have a equality officer. Who deals with all this and they do not. Other areas do my area do not.

When assessed for ESA had support worker unavailable .  So asked Team Manager to which she replied am too busy.  Sometimes I said we need help so what is the problem you coming. Her face a horrified look of terror. What is the point of having assessments and reviews if a Team Manager does not wished to know.

Thought do her good.  See the real experience the other side of what we all go through. Then I realised we all of us are just a conveyor belt and a number. More interested in the pay packet instead of helping and support people.

Eventually got call from support worker only after I dropped hints pay for her fuel and car parking charges.  To which I was willing to do then she agreed to be there for me. Is that what we all have to do.?

Get my wallet out and wave a twenty pound note under the support workers nose.  Understand that is what motivates some people. More than the job is worth.

Am grateful for what she did but that is besides the point. Another interesting debate is money talking to pay for what you need. Either support workers or other such services.

Direct payments becoming the norm regarding care and services. Asking a Doctors report costs you money.  Understand looks like we as a community are to become cash cows for the NHS and other services especially Council ones.

Is that the future of assessments and welfare. Yes will support you give you what you wish but it will cost you.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • cornishmaid
    cornishmaid Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Options
    I'm afraid its a sign of the times.  Everywhere is being financially cut to the bone.  Cornwall only have 2 advisers for the whole county and now state they can no longer offer help to fill out forms etc. and most of the help is via email.  I actually feel really sorry for these people, they must be running around like headless chickens.  The real people to blame for this is the Government and their ridiculous cuts everywhere.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @thespiceman

Our local CAB recently had to stop attending assessments, even for people with learning disabilities and TBIs. They simply don't have enough people or time. :/
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    wilko said:
    Hi mate I think the real reason is cost. The financial cost and time cost are we worth the effort £ for £. Is it cost effective for the time and effort to maybe get a result??? 
    Yes it is down to cost -' the £millions that it cost the hard working taxpayers in the form of legal aid freely given to those legal eagles who helped and represented others who wanted more money out of the state'.

That was the argument said by many when they heard that the government was intending to cut legal aid spending.

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don't need representation at an assessment, you just need you.
    You can take anyone to give you support, help with getting there.

It wouldn't occur to me to ask a charity to attend, but I would hope to find someone if I was appealing etc etc. 
    It's sad that places can't help with form filling. It just shows how many of us don't get understand the forms. Because if they were simple and the dwp understood their own criteria we wouldn't be in a muddle.

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • thespiceman
    Options
    Hello @whistles Thanks for advice and comments just always had some on with me for two specific reasons. First time I went to an assessment of benefits was in the early eighties that is how long I have been doing this.

Those days also the people assessing you were well in one word trying to doubt every word you said  .Sorry that is a sentence.

Could write a skit on everything that has happened to me during   Also remember these assessments are not pleasant and being poked at prodded and one time asked to numerous exercises. When I refused.

Shouting and certain behaviour resembling my heinous treatment.  Always had confront the issues around my disability . Last ESA ended up standing walking around ranting at the assessor because the issues were blatant and obvious made look a idiot and a fool. 

Thank you to support workers, health workers who calmed me down.  Attitudes of these people do not help at all.

Yes they are doing a job but they do not make it easier. See the stories and the forum members who write and post in.

I have had enough and am try to remain calm but they do not help the issues with inflammatory comments.

One final point have no one there walk over you and accuse you of lying and all the rest . Which they can do. Have failed so many times. Have some one their and not fail but get other evidence and some one to speak for you if the need arises.

Some thing to consider.

May I add if it costs me money good and least have that charity can go back and ask again. Do know any mental health charity will cost you for support worker to attend the costs are fuel and car parking.

One final point been volunteer driver my petrol bill picking up clients all over the county where I live into hundreds every month.

Yes I got it back but still on benefits expecting to help members of our community.

In fact one charity I know and have used issue you with a standing order form in the paper work you sign.. So can set up standing order to pay any costs arising from car parking and fuel costs from support workers.

As for CAB and other welfare organisations do offer to pay for photocopying and any filling of forms if they wish me to. Fact of life. All these places on cost cutting exercises.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Yadnad
    Options
    whistles said:
    You don't need representation at an assessment, you just need you.
    You can take anyone to give you support, help with getting there.

It wouldn't occur to me to ask a charity to attend, but I would hope to find someone if I was appealing etc etc. 
    Very few even manage to secure representation at a Tribunal. Personally if an advice agency cannot find the time to answer a few questions I had, I can't see that they would have staff available to sit in on all of the local Tribunals on a daily basis. I wouldn't be wasting my time trying to find someone. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yadnad
    Options
    What a WRO?

Would be great if you can find one.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.