struggling with claiming carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

struggling with claiming carers allowance

hillcastle18
hillcastle18 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
I'm struggling with claiming carers allowance for my gf and after nearly 10 weeks they have said they are waiting on conformation from ESA from the gf, which we sent off on Monday that I officially moved in on the 8th June 18, so they sent a letter a while awarding me carers from the 11th June 18, but not allowed me backdating from 09/04/18. Because of ESA paid toto my gf. Which somehow is the same amount as my arrears. So I rang today and the ESA form we sent in has not been seen yet up to now n we been told to wait still when its totally unsure if we will get it at all...
Any thoughts??  

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hillcastle18, welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having these difficulties, it sounds like a really frustrating situation for you both. When you say you rang today, was that the ESA helpline? If so, it may be worth trying to call the Carer's Allowance unit too:

Carer's Allowance Unit
    Telephone: 0800 731 0297
    Textphone: 0800 731 0317
    Monday to Thursday, 8:30am - 5pm
    Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm
    Calls and texts to these numbers are free of charge. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.