Informing DWP of my PIP award. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Informing DWP of my PIP award.

Grace56
Grace56 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
I have been awarded PIP daily living allowance and I received my award letter on June 11th. 
I know I now need to inform the DWP (ESA) of this, and I’ve tried phoning several times but I’ve been on hold for over an hour each time. There’s only so much Vivaldi one can stomach. 

Can I FAX or email the letter to them, or should I keep persevering by phone? 

Thank you. 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 68 Listener
    Keep persevering by phone but ring at different times I was on and got answer 

The 3rd time like you the music was driving me crazy do they do it on purpose to 
    Try and give people mental problems 
  • Grace56
    Thanks Jim1074, I’ll keep trying tomorrow then. ? 
  • Grace56
    I would imagine that they already know
    Yes, they probably do but I need to make sure so they can back pay my ESA premiums from September. 

Thanks lillybelle. ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Grace56 said:
    I would imagine that they already know
    Yes, they probably do but I need to make sure so they can back pay my ESA premiums from September. 

Thanks lillybelle. ?
    Which premiums are you talking about? If you're in the Support Group for ESA then the Enhanced disability premium of £16.40 single person, per week is automatically paid. If you're in the WRAG this premium is only paid if you claim Enhanced daily living PIP and is not paid with standard daily living.

For the Severe Disability Premium, it's not automatically paid because of the criteria. You must live alone or be classed as living alone (no one over the age of 18 living with you) unless you're claiming child benefit for them. If you live with a partner or any other adults then they must also be claiming a qualifying benefit. No one must be claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you. If this applies to you then you'll be able to claim this premium and it's £64.30 per week extra on your ESA.

The premiums for ESA are also only paid on top of Income Related.

You can't send an email to claim this premium, you must ring them. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    The DWP will know that you are claiming PIP, but for your own reassurance and peace of mind you will have to perseve in phoning DWP. When ever I phone such organisations I am using a Mobil phone and put it on speaker phone and use my iPad to check on scope site my emails, Facebook ect. Yes it can take a long time maybe try different times when they aren't so busy.
  • Grace56
    Good morning everyone,
    I eventually got through at 08:15 this morning....YAY! What a relief.

lillybelle, I am in the ESA support group and the last time I was receiving PIP I was also receiving the SD premium. 

My PIP was stopped a year early last September after re assessment. I was livid as there hadn’t been any significant changes to my situation. So I appealed and then went to tribunal last month and was awarded Daily Living component enhanced rate. 

Thank you you all for your help and have a good day. ??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 68 Listener
    Glad you took my advice 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.