PIP - 3. Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition. - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP - 3. Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition.

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In all honesty, it's a rather pointless single point because it won't get you a higher award. It's the only single point in all of the descriptors. There's also no other descriptor that gives 3 points, so it is indeed pointless.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree with not overwhelming the pharmacy. The reason they deal with me, is because of the mess I got into doing it and the service was suggested to me. I didn't know about it before this.
    They also offer a postal service, but someone collects.
    My form said "ordering and collecting medication were outside the scope of pip" so if that's the case they are dismissing the aid that they say you can score one point with!! 
    Either way I need help with it, I receive help with it. That's more important to me than their screwed up system. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    whistles said:
    Regardless of whether medication is now included or not, you still have to satisfy the dwp that you need supervision and prompting.
    Absolutely, you have to get through that hoop before you can go any further.
    Trying to convince the assessor/DWP that supervision, prompting and/or assistance is a need and not a choice is extremely difficult. As I have said, I fell foul of that too.

• Yadnad
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I disagree. A dosset box is classed as an aid for managing therapy.
    Which would score you 1 point.
    Absolutely - 1 point, but not for therapy, medication.

b. Needs either – 
    (i) to use an aid or appliance to be able to manage medication; or 
    (ii) supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage medication or monitor a health condition.
  • whistles
    Options
    Victoriad said:

It would be interesting to know if other posters have received one point for using a dosset box as an aid.

Only if they decide you need one.:-) 
  • Yadnad
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Victoriad said:
    It’s beginning to feel like I have taking part in the Eurovision Song Contest, with the NUL points ;)
    It seems that way! The assessor/DWP work backwards from no points towards 8. The first descriptor with the lowest points that applies you get the applicable points 
  • whistles
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I found this article.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3775-dwp-admits-to-getting-pip-law-wrong-again-many-thousands-of-claimants-will-get-back-payments .

"Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition
    The changes to the ‘Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition’ activity in March 2017 were intended to prevent claimants who needed help in the form of supervision, prompting or assistance with taking medication or monitoring a health condition from scoring more than one point. The changes stated that help with taking medication, or with monitoring a health condition, did not count as help with therapy for which up to 8 points can be scored"

The dwp say - 
    none of this applies from the date when they changed the law. So for cases from 16 March 2017 the DWP claims its decisions are correct"

But even if you can now score more than one. I got zero because they decided I didn't need supervision, prompting, assistance with any of the descriptors. 
    But I wonder if reliably and safely should have come into it here?  

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I use a dosset box but have supervision to fill the said box weekly as my local pharmacist is so busy. 
    I did get points for supervision and prompting.
    No matter what we think the decision makers etc will decide and we just need to like it or lump it
  • Yadnad
    Options
    whistles said:
    I found this article.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3775-dwp-admits-to-getting-pip-law-wrong-again-many-thousands-of-claimants-will-get-back-payments .

"Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition
    The changes to the ‘Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition’ activity in March 2017 were intended to prevent claimants who needed help in the form of supervision, prompting or assistance with taking medication or monitoring a health condition from scoring more than one point. The changes stated that help with taking medication, or with monitoring a health condition, did not count as help with therapy for which up to 8 points can be scored"

The dwp say - 
    none of this applies from the date when they changed the law. So for cases from 16 March 2017 the DWP claims its decisions are correct"

But even if you can now score more than one. I got zero because they decided I didn't need supervision, prompting, assistance with any of the descriptors. 
    But I wonder if reliably and safely should have come into it here?  

Notwithstanding the withdrawal of the appeals by the DWP, the descriptors as amended in 2017 are still legal (as far as the DWP are concerned).
    It will now take a Judicial Review to test if these changes are in fact legal. At the moment nothing seems to be happening with this second case. As it is now we are stuck with the amended descriptors.
    You can never get more than 1 point for the medication descriptor.

However if you have to have some type of therapy you can get up to 8 points.

Taking medication and under going therapy is not the same thing.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.