Worried about PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worried about PIP assessment

Options
Angiebabes2410
Angiebabes2410 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have my PIP assessment next week and I'm worried sick about it. I have a wheelchair and elbow crutches and i really struggle every day. I got diabetes type 2 and 2 slipped disks in my back for 20 years I can't stand for many minutes or walk further than the car and I can't sit for long either. My right leg is numb from nerve damage and my right arm doesnt work well either. ( Apart from that I'm fine lol ) and im taking antidepressants as im very depressed and my family all passed away i am totally alone all the time.  Please help me xx

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, Sorry to hear how much your health is affected. 
    Please make sure you are not going alone to the assessment. 
    Let's see if @BenefitsTrainingCo can advice you how to prepare for the assessment day. 

Make sure you do not stress to much even if you are really worry all about it. 
    Be positive. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Angiebabes2410, and welcome to the community!

It sounds like you're dealing a lot, and I really hope our community members can support and advise you. Here is some guidance on preparing for a PIP assessment that you may like to read, and do feel free to ask any questions and we'll do our best to help. All the best and keep us updated!
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Angiebabes2410  I would have thought you would qualify for a home visit?
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    @Angiebabes2410 If you're going to drive to the assessment centre I advise you not to do this as this will not help you get the mobility points you obviously need to keep the car if it's a motability car. Ring the number on your appointment letter and say you need a taxi and arrange this with them. You have to get their agreement to this to claim the money back. 

• Angiebabes2410
    Options
    The assessor came to my home . I didnt have to ask them to come here they gave me the appointment at home. Unfortunately i am having to appeal against their decision because they are giving me less than before on DLA
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Angiebabes2410 said: Unfortunately i am having to appeal against their decision because they are giving me less than before on DLA
    Par for the course I am afraid. Given that PIP was made more difficult to get  together with the complete removal of the low rate of DLA is it generally accepted that you will get a reduced PIP award by comparison.
  • Angiebabes2410
    Options
    So do i have to just cope with the reduced amount ? I thought a lot of people have been able to appeal and i read 85% win their appeal
  • Gaina
    Gaina Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    Options
    So do i have to just cope with the reduced amount ? I thought a lot of people have been able to appeal and i read 85% win their appeal

I can understand why people would be put off appealing when the initial process is stressful enough, but personally I would. As well as the figure you cited, 8% of applicants are successful at the MR stage (SOURCE : Disabled Go News). 

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. ?
  • JamesMcDonald2019
    JamesMcDonald2019 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    Hi there, just had my PIP assessment and was really
    worried about it at first but the lady who came out from the assessment services was very understanding and made sure I wasn’t feeling pressured. We had a long chat about my disability and how I am with my
    mental health. 

Luckily she was understanding and let me have time to answer certain questions. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    That's good to hear @JamesMcDonald2019. I hope you get a positive outcome. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.