Help please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help please

JEL
JEL Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi I'm very new to this. I have been advised to register disabled. Can you still do this? Thanks for listening x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 68 Listener
    No you used to 20 years ago and they give you a green card then they stopped it 
  • JEL
    JEL Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    That's what I thought originally but does it depend on your local authority area?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    In general there is no longer a register of disabled people.

Most companies and other agencies now tend to view a PIP or DLA award as that confirmation.
  • Ethel
    Ethel Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Although there is no register for disabled people, the Equality Act defines disability. Many organisations e.g. Application for a disabled person's rail card will use PIP, DLA, medical evidence or a GP statement to support an application.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Ethel said:
    Although there is no register for disabled people, the Equality Act defines disability. Many organisations e.g. Application for a disabled person's rail card will use PIP, DLA, medical evidence or a GP statement to support an application. 

I agree but wave a DLA or PIP award at them and they simply accept it. Getting a medical report or evidence is more long winded and can be subjective depending on the contents. 

Brightness