Pip and getting help from other agencies — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip and getting help from other agencies

debbiedo49
debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I’m a bit gutted after receiving a letter about my pip appeal recently. I couldn’t really digest it properly as it makes my brain spin with anxiety. I got help from the money advice team from the council who sent me the paperwork for them to deal with the whole process on my behalf. So they sent away the appeal letter for me. The letter I’ve received back says they have my paperwork which arrived late and so other parties have 28 days to object to my appeal . It’s hard to fathom why, when you ask an agency for help and they may have sent my aperwork back late, that I could lose my fight to appeal. I am going to contract the money advice team tomorrow and ask what happened and what can I do. It’s horrible. 

Comments

• debbiedo49
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi debbiedo

How late was your appeal letter ?

You can appeal up to 13 months from the date of the decision letter so the DWP are unlikely to contest a few days

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • debbiedo49
    I know and thats what I intend to find out, how late and why? So ive emailed the person doing it. Its through the council so anything could have happened . Either way, should I be concerned?
  • debbiedo49
    Thanks for the info
  • debbiedo49
    Can you close this please ? Too many pip questions on different threads thanks 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree with that in part.
    But.

Everyone is individual with individual circumstances.
    Posts become outdated. 
    If we had no posts on pip or esa we wouldn't haven't a forum at all. I've already said that a high proportion of posts are all regarding benefits. 

What is worth checking is if members start multiple posts on the same subject because they haven't got any responses. 
    Or posts in the wrong area. But those could be flagged by members not just staff.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I am currently going through my own change from DLA to PIP and am terrified of the paperwork as I often get things wrong. I have requested help from DWP themselves as they helped me with my last DLA application. I just hope things go ok. I suffer anxiety, severe depression and paranoia so I fully understand the fear paperwork engenders in what healthy people consider simple. It's a shame that it isn't possible for them to experience what we feel before they start pointing out how easy it is for us (in their opinion).

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Topkitten
    @Username_removed I have had this pointed out to me many times by people who do not have to go through it. To get DLA I had to go through 3 applications, 3 appeals and get the last appeal overturned to get a 4th. I was always asking for help and discussing it with people I knew and met and was constantly told how simple it all was and how easy it was for me to get lots of help and support and "did I really deserve to get so much money". I even had a judge accuse me of going through it just to get a free car!

Anxiety and depression can make even the simplest thing seem difficult and complicated.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Topkitten
    @mikehughescq, actually I believe that most healthy people think of us in the same terms even if they don't always say it aloud. I have had a lot of polite people show great surprise when I discuss the problems I've had and how difficult it is to have enough money to live on when disabled and living on benefits. Most people seem to think of us in terms of the TV programs they watch. That we are mostly skivers, cheats and getting large amounts of undeserved money from benefits.

Mind you I AM paranoid so perhaps that's just an exagerated view. Still, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me, lol!

TK
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi debbiedo

How late was your appeal letter ?

You can appeal up to 13 months from the date of the decision letter so the DWP are unlikely to contest a few days.

One day or 300 days, late is late!
    The DWP have every right to object to the Tribunal from hearing a late appeal. It is up to the Tribunal to rule on this.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    edited June 2018
    Hi,

The team do our best to split out new questions into new threads. We avoid closing thread for the reasons @whistles's describes. 

The vast majority of people come here because they Google a question or topic and a discussion from the community comes up in the results. If we closed every discussion we might create a barrier to them signing up and getting support for their particular issue.

If you spot a question that is out of place on a thread, or duplicate - you can just report it using the flag button and we will split it out as soon as possible.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Mike surely if the DWP are absolutely certain that they have made the right decision (otherwise they would have revised it before) what merit could there be for the DWP to not want to object to a late appeal.

Or are you suggesting that the DWP have an inkling that they may be wrong but are not willing to put pen to paper and change the decision?
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Why would they not appeal if they feel there decision is correct in the first place!

Maybe if the system was working properly there would be no need to appeal there decision in the first place.

Surely someone needs to say, if the appeal is granted the DWP should look AGAIN at the claim to stop all this extra cost to the government and our mental health 
  • debbiedo49
    This post is out of date now thanks. Fyi I used the local council WRO for my paperwork and they somehow made it late but thats all sorted now.
  • whistles
    Alex said:
    Hi,

The team do our best to split out new questions into new threads. We avoid closing thread for the reasons @whistles's describes. 

The vast majority of people come here because they Google a question or topic and a discussion from the community comes up in the results. If we closed every discussion we might create a barrier to them signing up and getting support for their particular issue.

If you spot a question that is out of place on a thread, or duplicate - you can just report it using the flag button and we will split it out as soon as possible.
    There is no search facility that I can find on this forum.  So people cannot search posts?
    You can click on the section, but you have no way of knowing any content. 
    I couldn't search for this thread I had to go through every single post I had replied to.
    That might help?
  • whistles
    People don't stay either which is a shame. We get hundreds of new registrations, but just a handful of regular people. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.