Receiving PIP. Any other benefits I would be entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum

Receiving PIP. Any other benefits I would be entitled to?

Amana Member Posts: 3 Connected
I am a lady that has been disabled for the last seven years after a medical blunder caused by a surgion after a routine operation went wrong. I am 53 years old and prior to me becomming disabled, I was a full time home care manager and a manager of nursing and residential homes. I am bedridden for 14 hours each day as I have to be hooked upto a drip feed to replace the nutrition that i need each day.

I had a routine hernia operation but the surgeon snipped my bowel by mistake and this formed an open bowel with fistulas that are very active making my body expel 10 litres of body fluid each day. Over the seven years I have had this condition I have had several other health conditions including phnumonia which has affected my breathing. I am also now wheelchair bound, but canwalk very very short distances but become very breathless. I am not able to go out of the house on my own and need someone to assist me.

I am in receipt of the PIP payment and I receive disablement benefit. But due to the conditions that I have I do not qualify for most incontinent products on the National Health and i spend £80 per month on incontinent products which the benefits I receive hardly cover the cost. I would like some help with what benefits I am actually entitled too and if there is anything else I would be entitled to receive? I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice as to what I may be entitled too.

Also I would also like it if someone could advise me of any outings or activities that I could be involved in as although I am physically disabled my mind is very under stymulated and I feel very alone at times. Each day I am able to go downstairs on my stairlift for a few hours but I feel very withdrawn from the world. 


  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering

    A very warm welcome.

    Very sorry to learn of your significant difficulties.

    As you are over 50 yrs, I would highly recommend that you contact Age UK helpline 0800 169 65 65, to request a home visit, for them to undertake, a benefits check.

    I would also ask them to assist you in getting "Direct Payments", so you can
    fund activities, that you seek.

    Not sure about NHS inco equipment, but I am sure Age UK will assist.

    Do you have a support worker or social worker, as they should be assisting you?

    Please keep us informed.

    Best wishes
  • miss_hollymay
    miss_hollymay Member Posts: 8 Courageous

    I'm not sure but as you've worked for so long prior to your disability I believe you would be entitle to Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). You would be able to get contribution based which mean it works off of how much National Insurance you've paid. 

    I would definitely look into it! 

  • Amana
    Amana Member Posts: 3 Connected
    Yes I had a social worker when i first came out of hospital but they only keep their case loads for a very limited amount of time (I think its just 4 weeks?). I have been through age concern,or tried to, but they tell me I am too young? I said they could not help me. As far as the inco stuff goes I have been round the mills and back and argued with the incontinence team until I was blue in the face and got nowhere!!! As I have told them all, I have been left with an aweful disability through the incomompetence of a so called surgeon and yet what benefits I do receive I have to spend on i ncontinence products!!! This so infuriates me!! Like I asked, if there is any other options open for me of my age group I would bemost grateful for some information?? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,803 Disability Gamechanger

    Your disablement benefit is classed as income for any means tested benefits, this means a claim for Income Related ESA or Universal credit will depend on how much you receive from this benefit per week. It's taken in consideration £1 for £1 for means tested benefits. Unless you've paid enough NI contributions in the last 2 tax years then you won't be able to claim Contribution based ESA.

    For funding for the incontinence pads will totally depend on your local clinical commisioning group and you may need to assessed by a health care professional, as stated here in this link. There's also more info in this link with phone numbers for you to ring.

    PIP is also meant to pay for any extras needed because of your disability.

    A visit or a call to your local CAB for a benefits check could be beneficial to you because without knowing your full circumstances, it's impossible to advise.

    As for groups in your area have a look on the internet for what's available near you, it's impossible to suggest anything when no one here knows what area you live. Often looking on the internet and maybe putting a question into google followed by your area you'll be surprised what comes up.

    Good luck.

  • Amana
    Amana Member Posts: 3 Connected
    Many thanks for your reply I will spend sometime looking through what you have suggested and see if there is anything I can find out. The area that I live in is West Yorkshire, which means our local council is Kirklees Council. I will let you know how I get on. Thank you. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,799 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Amana, and a belated warm welcome to the community! 

    You've had some great advice already, and you may also want to check out this resource on extra money and help PIP entitles you to. As for social activities, the results from this search might be a good place to start. All the best!


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.