Tribunal rejected — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal rejected

Bonnie1906
Bonnie1906 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I've had my Tribunal rejected.  My psychiatric reports were not sent to the Tribunal,  None of the 3 Judges had psychiatric expertise.  I could only get an appointment the the CAB - who said they would sent them of for me - one week beforehand.  I still don't know whether this happened as no reply to my enquiries.  Also the written notes that were included in my Reasons for Refusal letter were illegible.  They said they would send me a transcript anksbut I only have 3 weeks now to apply for an Upper Tribunal.  Is there any legal service that would look through my case that I could go directly to?   I haven't been so ill now for 17 years Thanks

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    Hello @Bonnie1906

Pleased to meet you welcome.

Please can I say thank you for sharing. I do not really not know the answer.

Understand the issues and problems I am sure our community may have an answer.

Considering looking at Welfare rights or looking on line for legal or welfare support would be a suggestion.  Just a solution.

Hope that helps

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Bonnie1906 and a warm welcome to the community. Very glad you've found us, but I'm sorry to hear you're having such an awful time of it.
    I can't answer your queries myself, but we do have experts here who should be able to advise you and I am going to forward your post to them. Bear with us and they should be in touch with you shortly.
    Warmest best wishes,
    @JennysDad
  • Bonnie1906
    Bonnie1906 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Who is Jesse?  I have the Statement of Reasons as I said,  dated 6.6.18.  The hand written notes are illegible so I have to ask for a transcript.  I only have a short while left because I have been trying to find out from the CAB whether they sent my psychiatric reports to the Tribunal which the DWP failed to do.  I can't get an answer from the CAB and gone running around to different agencies to find some legal help before I contact the Court again for an Upper Tribunal. I can't understand a lot of it so there may be other mistakes.  I am being penalised for having what they thought was too much DLA but it wasn't the high rate.
  • Lucysam25
    Lucysam25 Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Hi this is LucySam25 can you give me some advice about my tribunal  form what to put and not what say to the judge I am a bit confused help?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @Bonnie1906,

Upper Tribunal work is still an area which is in scope for legal aid for, so it is likely that there is a legal adviser out there who can advise on this - really the CAB or a local Welfare Rights/law centre should be able to signpost you to who in your area has the contract (as they may not be that nearby) but if you can't rely on them, then you could try using the legal aid checker website https://www.gov.uk/check-legal-aid opt for 'i've been refused at the 1st tier and want to appeal to the Upper' option, and put that you're on income support etc (just to get through the system) and it should give you details of local agencies who may be able to help - you'll then have to ring round them to see if they actually can.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

@Lucysam25 if its the SSCS1 form, then the grounds don't need to be extensive, you just need to say, in basic terms, why you disagree with the decision e.g. due to X and Y, I can't do Z.  -you can always make a more detailed submission later if you want to.

My main tip though, would be that you need to request an oral hearing as this massively increases your chances of success.

Good luck!

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• Lucysam25
    Lucysam25 Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Hi mary I wrote on the letter what I was diagnosed  with but there was no mention  letter  I got back of pip all they put down was my musculoskeletal disorder nothing else 
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    When you make an application for a upper tribunal it is looked at by a judge and if he thinks there are grounds to set aside the first hearing he will do that's what happened to me 
    I went to my first tribunal which was so stressful and i feel because i was getting bombarded with questions from the panel i got tongue tied and said the wrong things so on the 2nd tribunal i put my case on paper and told them i would not be attending and the result was i won my case and the DWP did not dispute the result 
    My original award was till Dec 2019 which would of meant a review in Dec 2018 but because the judge stated that i was entitled to the enhanced award till Dec 2019 now the DWP cannot review it 12 months before the end date and i have been told to contact them 14 weeks before Dec 2019 for a reassessment.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.