Distance ? Mobility - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Distance ? Mobility

Comments

• april123
    april123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    @tina1888 I'm type 2 but I agree it affects us all different good luck in your appeal
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    april123 said:
    Susan48 have rang and checked appeal received in time and accepted.  They said the DWP will be given 4 weeks to either change it or go to court. If they choose court they will send me all documents involved and the waiting time in Birmingham is approximately 30/37 weeks.
    Hi @april123,
    glad you got the info about your appeal and aprox time scale.
    hopefully it won’t come to that.
    the bundle of documents it huge , I couldn’t read it all but youl have time.
    its a long time to wait but will give to time to get evidence collected to support your appeal.
    Keep us posted 
  • april123
    I've been on DLA indefinitely for 15 years for mobility and had all treatment not much more to add

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    tina1888 said:
    @Yadnad thanx for your opinion and advice. The thing is type 1 diabetes is different to every individual.  Everybody can cope with things at different levels.
    It's great your diabetes doesn't affect you very much. That's brilliant there could be many factors in this. The length of time you have been diabetic. The longer you have the more damage gets done to your body.
    Eating what u like and taking whatever amounts of insulin you like is not the answer. This can cause blindness Alzheimer's and a list of other problems. 
    I hope when I go to appeal whomever is hearing it understands that it affects everyone differently and sees me on the difficulties that I have

I agree Type 1 does affect people in different ways. It is a damn nightmare to be honest with numb toes and Peripheral Arterial Disease of both legs. However there is no way I will sit down and put up with it. It's more a mind over matter thing.

The advice of my diabetic nurse and the hospital consultant to primarily to keep my blood sugar levels somewhere between 6 and 8. Of course it does go up to 28+ at times especially if I have been out to a function and did not put enough insulin in before going.

I was told that I can eat and drink anything just as long as I make sure that I have enough insulin in my body. Many is the time that I put in 12 units of Pro Rapid only to find that when I get home another 10 units are needed. This replicates what the Pancreas does - it pumps in as much insulin as is needed. The only drawback I have with Diabetes is getting the level right at night time. On average I have a couple of hypos a week (blood/sugar level goes down to about 2) normally at about 3am when I get it wrong. Get up, get a cup of tea with sugar and a slice of toast with jam does the trick.

To be honest and despite my disabilities I want to live as near a normal life as is possible - the future will have to look after itself in time to come.
  • Tigermoth42
    Tigermoth42 Community member Posts: 243 Pioneering
    Hi @april123 they did the same to me, changed mobility from standard to enhanced once they received the appeal papers. Sadly my car went back seven weeks ago and the award is only for 2 years but better than nothing. So happy for you my lovely x
  • tina1888
    tina1888 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    That is wonderful for both of u x i got 8 points for mobility but feel i should have got enhanced.  I am appealling but terrified. Im scared of the whole process.
  • april123
    @Tigermoth42 to receive there pay out would of gone back in June but we decided to hold on till last min, so was due back in Oct. If appeal went ahead we would of lost car by the time we got hearing.  Wonder now if enhanced on both they will change or backdate time limit on the assessment like they have for mental illness on mobility. Have to wait for mobility to contact about car now.  Sorry they didn't give you enhanced first time round and saved you loosing your car.
  • april123
    @tina1888, thankyou I was terrified of the whole thing and wasn't going to appeal. Then with support and advice plucked up the nerve as I knew in time I would of been disappointed in myself. Was surprised when I got the letter why they dont take MR sereous and stop putting us through so much stress. I used works and pension info it gives you all the info good luck.
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi @tina1888, thank you so much, I had 4 points at the original assessment, this was upped on MR to 10 and finally, when the dwp decided not to defend my appeal, it went up to 12. I’m obviously delighted at the decision but somewhat miffed that they couldn't have awarded it in the first place saving me all the additional stress and anxiety and losing my lifeline car. It is such a scary thing to have to go through, have you got someone going with you? 

Hi @april123 thank you so much too. You’re the only other person I’ve heard about who’s had the appeal cancelled, maybe things are changing at last. We can but hope! 

Sending you both hugs ?
  • tina1888
    Just my husband for support. Your result is amazing.  I dont understand when the assesor can clearly see and hear how your illness affects you they dont give it at the start. 
    I suppose that is what in a way is giving me hope the fact that i got 8 points when its so hard to get any. 
    Im hoping that the appeal board understand a bit better but as i say im terrified x 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @april123 that’s fantastic news I bet your so relieved.

Thank you for the update and I hope the DWP are starting to look at people’s claims again before going to tribunal x
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    DWP are worried about the high appeal success rate.  Makes DWP look like the basket case they are.  So they are making offers to reduce the number of appeal.

• Tigermoth42
    Hi @Matilda well said!! Loving the phrase ‘basket case’ did make me chuckle, sums them up just right! @tina1888, I wish you every success my lovely, my husband has supported me by writing 2 brilliant letters, it’s such a stressful thing to have to go through when you’re already struggling. I said somewhere before - disability isn’t a lifestyle choice - it’s sad that there are some bad apples who fraudulently claim and then force those most in need to jump through hoops just to get a bit of help. I read a post from someone who said a good friend of hers got her kids to lie in order to claim pip for them. Just makes my blood boil. Do keep us posted, imagine them all sitting there naked, I find that takes the edge off my nerves ?
  • tina1888
    Wow that would be a dream if that happened to me. Them changing their minds.
    Can i please ask did u all do the appeal process yourselves or did u get help?
    Thank u xx
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @tina1888

Did mine myself as there is limited f2f help in my area.  I had help from Disability Rights UK site, CAB site, BenefitsTrainingCo on Scope, Scope staff on the forum especially Debbie_@Scope, numerous members of the Scope community.  Attended hearing without support and my award was increased from standard both components to enhanced both components.

Tribunals are impartial, just there to find out what you can and can't do.  Be prepared to answer a lot of questions but keep your nerve and stick to your guns.

You might be asked for how long you can walk, not how far.  Giving just a time might make them think you can walk farther than you can.  Say that it takes you X seconds or minutes to walk Y meters.  
  • Tigermoth42
    @tina1888 we did it ourselves. I sent supporting medical evidence from my pain consultant, mental health team and X-ray report in with my MR that resulted in the award being raised from standard living only (previously enhanced on both) to enhanced living and standard mobility. They capitulated just over a week ago, I presume once they’d received the paperwork from the court. 
  • Jaytbm1
    Jaytbm1 Community member Posts: 72 Pioneering
    @Tigermoth42 and April did you receive your bundle of letters for appeal . I have received mine , a few weeks ago . Just wondering if that might happen to me. Thanks 
  • tina1888
    @Jaybm1 hi i have not recieved any paper work either....

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.