Fibromyalgia and diet — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia and diet

Meggy
Meggy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I'm new to the site. Struggling with chronic pain and fatigue after a fall 18 months ago. Have gained a lot of weight as a 're.of much reduced physical activity and boredom/comfort eating.
I have b12 defiency and trying to.persuade Drs to let me have injections more frequently. I also have lymphedema in both legs and peripheral neuropathy which hits everywhere at different times and occasionally all at the same time.
Currently waiting (since last October) to see a rheumatologist for a formal diagnosis. Go thinks fibromyalgia.
I'm trying to follow a low carb diet and the principles of the expert patient's programme.
Anyone else have b12d with fma? How are you dealing with it?

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Meggy, welcome to the community! It's great to have you here. 

Fingers crossed for a formal diagnosis for you soon- I know how frustrating the time between can be. In the meantime, I've moved this post into our 'ask a diet and nutrition advisor' discussions, where hopefully @KirstenNutritionAdvisor will be able to offer some input!
  • Meggy
    Thank you Pippa. I am on way to a wellbeing appt. I shall check out the advice when that's done. Thanks for responding xx
  • KirstenNutritionAdvisor
    KirstenNutritionAdvisor Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Hi @Meggy, I'm going to do some research on this and reply a little later, but I'm looking into it for you, in the meantime would you be able to tell me a little bit more about what your current diet is like in terms of it being low carb what are you eating andwhat you aren't eating etc xx
  • Meggy
    Hi Kirsten. 
    We (my partner and i) are trying to lose some weight. I liked the ideas in Tom Kerridges book, he lost loads on a low carb diet. They led to me buying the book and researching recipes online. So, we're following a low carb diet with limited amounts of protein and plenty of good days which are rapeseed oil, olive oil and butter. Keeping hard animal fats to a minimum but fairly free with dairy fats - cheese and yogurts etc. Plus loads and loads and loads of veg.
    We've cut out potatoes, pasts and rice. I replaced rice with barley or grated caul.
    We also cut out bread, except for 2 slices of toast in the morning, we do love toast for breakfast.
    Example dinner we had last.night - baked sea bream with roasted veg and celeriac mash. The night before I made a pizza casserole with creamed caul on top. I'm poaching chicken instead of roasting and using the stock for soups. I find the food delicious it's just very tiring sometimes cooking from scratch.
    We still enjoy an occasional treat- ice cream in a cornet for me and his is crisps just not every day. 
    Oh and eggs. Seem to be eating a lot of eggs too - mostly omelettes.
    Sorry if I went on a bit. ?
    Thanks in advance
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I was wondering how you got your deficiency diagnosed please? I have fibro and chronic pain. I’m lactose intolerant so find my dairy intake is restricted to lactose free products. Also I read that dairy is not good for people with joint problems like arthritis  but that was a long time ago. I struggle with fatigue daily and wish I knew what to eat properly to help my fatigue.
  • Meggy
    A blood test. My GP was trying to rule things out and this was one of them. B12 is important for normal brain and central nervous system function so symptoms include nerve pain and foggyness/forgetfulness which are also present in FMA. If you're taking PPIs - proton pump inhibitors such as lansoprazole you should be checked as these can cause b12d.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes I take lanzoprazole thanks 

Brightness