Mandatory decision refusal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mandatory decision refusal

lannie04
lannie04 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
hi everyone my name is Leanne and I was diagnosed 5 years ago with fibro, cfs and anxiety and depression, I hurt my back about 9 years ago so that’s also a daily struggle, I applied for pip back in fe this year to be refused and ask for a mandatory decision, I got a letter from my gp who confirmed my symptoms problems and medication it was a fantastic letter but it wasn’t even touched in the description that the descion outlined, everything I said in my one to one barely any of it has been discussed and when I received the letter today I experienced my first ever anxierty attack and no I have to face a tribunal for my next appeal step I’m worried it’s going to happen again, can anyone let me know what happens at this tribunal from their experience please 

Comments

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Hey, only ~20% of MRs succeed, whereas 71% of tribunals do, so please don't worry too much! Tribunals also have nothing to do withe the DWP.
  • lannie04
    Thankyou @Waylay, I’ve been trying to read into it and the way the letter arrived it makes you feel like a fraud, so I was contemplating not taking it any further but my father is insisting saying that he will be with me every step of the way, I’m just now concerned after the anxiety attack today, but my gp has logged it down and upped medication 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 68 Listener
    Don't worry I have been to the tribunal 11 times and won 11 times at m r did not change the decision I knew they would not appeal sent in post tomorrow 
  • lannie04
    Thankyou @jim1074 I think I have to try and hope for the best I can but tell the truth and be honest and hopefully they see it, upon reading a lot on here it see,s everyone pretty much goes through the process and at application or mandatory decision very little get awarded 
  • [Deleted User]
    That's right how I won I always tell the truth my advice is just tell the truth and 
    You will win at the tribunal 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    lannie04 said:
    Thankyou @jim1074 I think I have to try and hope for the best I can but tell the truth and be honest and hopefully they see it, upon reading a lot on here it see,s everyone pretty much goes through the process and at application or mandatory decision very little get awarded 
    No, that's not exactly true. There are good stories out there but those that are awarded successfully and are happy with their award have no questions to ask. Therefore we don't hear their story. You will always only hear the bad stories.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lannie04
    This morning I’ve received another letter, telling me how to appeal for tribunal, but it’s saying I need to include a copy of my mandatory appeal they sent me on the 27th November 2017, but I only applied in Feb 2018, do you think this could be a mix up of person or just a misprint of date
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I'd phone the DWP about the discrepancy.

Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to PIP appeals.  And their Disability Rights Handbook has a good section on appeal hearings.  The Handbook does cost £18.50, from DR site, or might be available in your local reference library.
  • [Deleted User]
    Its a misprint of date how hopeless are they when you apply to the tribunal you have to include a copy of your mandatory decision I'm sending mine tomorrow 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.