Can I claim PIP with state pension? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I claim PIP with state pension?

BCoumbe46
BCoumbe46 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    BCoumbe46

Good Evening @ Welcome my Friend.

Please please have a good look around.

If there is any help/support that you may need please let me know?????

• BCoumbe46
    I'm just trying to find out as I am on PIP and will be due to get my state pension next year can I still claim PIP and get my state pension also
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Yes you can get PIP after state pension age as long as you were on it before 65 
    But after 65 and you are on standard mobility award you cannot go on enhanced unless you are already on it 
    This is why the DWP try to get everybody over 65 reduced to standard that's what they did to me at 66 but i appealed and got enhanced reinstated
  • BCoumbe46
    Thank you for that. I was advised by a friend that when you get your state pension they stop the PIP. I had read that you can have the PIP after 65 so couldn't understand what was correct.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    Welcome to the community, @BCoumbe46

You've had some great responses alreadt, but this webpage from Age UK on PIP and state pension may also be helpful:

Personal Independence Payment

If you’ve got an illness or disability, claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP) could help you.

What is Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people who may need help with daily activities or getting around because of a long-term illness or disability.

PIP has two parts - a daily living component and a mobility component.

PIP has replaced Disability Living Allowance for anyone making a new claim.

How much could I get?

How much you can get depends on how difficult it is for you to do certain things, such as preparing food and drink, dressing and undressing, or moving around.

You may be able to claim one or both components.

Daily living componentWeekly rate
    Standard£57.30
    Enhanced£85.60
    Mobility componentWeekly rate
    Standard£22.65
    Enhanced£59.75

How can PIP help me?

If you have an illness or disability it can make life difficult and affect your income too (especially if you have to give up work or cut down your hours). Having a little extra money could help you to pay for things you need or want. You can spend PIP on whatever you need it for.  

Am I eligible to claim PIP?

You may be eligible for PIP if you’re aged between 16 and 64 and need help with daily living activities or getting around, or both. If you’re awarded PIP before you’re 65, you’ll continue to receive it after age 65. You can still make a claim if you’re working.

• PIP isn’t based on your National Insurance contributions and isn’t means-tested, which means it doesn’t matter how much income or savings you have.
    • If you're 65 or over and have care needs, you should claim Attendance Allowance instead.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.