universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

universal credit

SkyMary7
SkyMary7 Community member Posts: 55 Connected
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
hi should carers allowance have been deducted from universal credit award? they have taken off 356 for my salary of 765 and 279 off for carers allowance. which has left my award 541 for the month which includes help for housing benefit. can I appeal for this.? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes it should be that's correct, it's because Carers Allowance pay you and you can't be paid twice. You'll get a Carers element added to your UC which is £156.45 per month. Money taken off for your salary is also correct.

I'm not sure what you want to appeal because there's nothing to appeal.

Did you use the benefits calculator that was put up in your other post? If it's used correctly and you put the correct figures in they are quite accurate.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SkyMary7
    hi yeah i did and it says different to what I have been given. it seems a lot to be deducted when I was getting so much more. I mean if my circumstances are the same why such a big  drop. its unfair on families trying to work and manage. My adopted daughter has complex emotional issues and needs both of us round the clock. There is no way i could work full time. :( thanks for your help 
  • poppy123456
    Carers allowance is always deducted from UC and then Carers allowance pay you, so you're not losing out on that money. In fact you're £156 per month better off because of the carers element added to UC. Have you taken into consideration the Carers allowance that's paid separately?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • SkyMary7
    its because they go a month behind so they took May salary into account and this month my wages are only £435 so im assuming July universal credit award will be different x
  • poppy123456
    It totally depends on when your assessment period is for UC as to how much UC you'll receive. If you're wages are paid 4 weekly then it's possible that  some months you will have even less UC. If you're paid monthly and it's close to your assessment period for UC and you end up being paid twice within this assessment period then your UC will be affected. If it is affected greatly by your pay sometimes then it should work itself out for the following month and could be paid more.

I totally agree that UC is the pits.
  • SkyMary7
    yeah my assessment period is 21st to the 22nd of the following month and I get paid the 25th of each month. thanks for your advice x
  • SkyMary7
    hi ive been to citizens advice and it turns out they had my rent down as £120 a month instead of a week. So they are reassessing everything. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.