Hot tips on staying cool and safe in warm weather — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hot tips on staying cool and safe in warm weather

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited August 2018 in Coffee lounge
With the next few days being forecast with high temperatures and as we're making our way through Summer, we wanted to share some advice from Public Health England and the NHS on how to stay safe.

• Stay hydrated! Make sure to drink cold drinks regularly – water is best, but if you want fruit juice then you can mix some water into that. Try to avoid excess alcohol, caffeine (tea, coffee and some fizzy drinks) or drinks high in sugar.
  • Get advice from a medical professional if you have any worries or doubts. 
  • Check the storage instructions on your medication to see if you need to move them to a cooler place.
  • Carry on taking all prescribed medicines unless advised not to by a medical professional, but be aware that some prescription medicines can reduce your tolerance of heat. 
  • Try to avoid the heat by staying out of the sun when it’s the hottest part of the day – this is usually between 11am and 3pm.
  • Wear loose, cool clothing, and a hat and sunglasses if you go outdoors. Don’t forget your sunscreen!
  • Shut windows and pull your shades or light-coloured curtains when if it is hotter outside than in your home (metallic blinds and dark curtains can make the room hotter). You can then open the windows for ventilation when it is cooler.
  • If you can, have cool baths or showers and splash yourself with cool water.
  • Identify the coolest room you have access to, so you know where to go to keep cool.
  • Check the weather forecast and any high-temperature health warnings at www.metoffice.gov.uk

Watch out for heat exhaustion and heatstroke! Please have a look at the symptoms that NHS choices halisted so that you are of what to look out for and the steps that you should take if someone exhibits them - including when you to call 999.

These are just a few helpful tips to keep you safe in hot weather. To help keep yourself as safe as possible, you can read Public Health England’s “Beat The Heat” leaflet to get more suggestions and information. 

How do you keep cool during hot weather? Do you love warm, sunny days or prefer when you can stay wrapped up? How do hot temperatures affect you?
Scope

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Great post @Lasian_Scope
    I don't have a colon and so get easily dehydrated so in hot weather I up my liquid intake a LOT and I also take rehydration sachets if I think I could be getting dehydrated.

You can buy these from the chemist or supermarket and I think they are really handy to keep in the first aid box for hot weather times for people vulnerable to the heat and also if you have sickness and diarrhoea,
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Thank you @Sam_Scope :)

I hadn't thought of rehydration sachets before, I'll definitely be getting some of those!

My PoTS gets much worse in hot weather, so I have some reusable gel cold packs that can be put in the freezer for a while and then used to keep me cool.
  • Sam_Alumni
    They are a lifeline for me! I don't think we appreciate just how much dehydration affects the body!
    Scope
  • Sam_Alumni
    There have been studies that suggest that people with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) which is Ulcerative Colitis and Crohns Disease are more prone to flare ups and hospital admissions in a heat wave.

Take care of yourselves everyone :)
    Scope
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    This hot weather really takes its toll on me, just had to order spare oxygen to get me over the weekend.
    The up side ( if you think so ) is I am stuck on my computer trying to answer any questions from members :)

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    I definitely think that's an upside @CockneyRebel - you are such an asset to this community :)
    Scope
  • cripps
    cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    Hi everyone, really struggling with the heat, the medication I’m taking really makes it hard for me to stay awake, it’s like all my energy has been drained from my body . Any tips on how to stay in control? 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    That’s why I asked is this site for Scottish folk when I joined as the references used are for English sites . Are we in the UK? 
    Yes hot weather sucks when you are on meds for various reasons like excess sweating , sensitivity to sunlight, etc. I get brown patches on my face that look most unsightly. Also having allergies it’s hard to find products that suit my skin and don’t feel like a film on my skin. I almost always wear cotton as my skin is very sensitive and basically strip off as soon as I get home due to sweating. I find when it’s hot I limit my time outdoors as it’s just too uncomfortable . I always carry a water bottle when it’s hot outside as I lose water by sweating. I grew my hair out to be able to shower and tie my hair back wet before going out as it helps me to keep cool. I find hair drying exhausting and causes over heating most of time so jusf occasionally do so. I’m thinking of getting a baseball cap for this summer but working my way up to that lol as I think I’m too old, too ugly etc lol. Keep a big glass of iced water in the fridge on warm days so you can get a drink when you get in and make sure you drink it. A bag of ice in the freezer can be a godsend for keeping cool on hot days. People don’t understand me when I say I don’t like hot days as most people love them but I just prefer cooler weather due to my health. It’s really hard to walk around in the heat when you have asthma too like me. Make sure you use and carry your inhalers. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    Forgot to mention i always carry cleansing wipes and uv lip balm as I break out in a sweat when I am anxious and it makes me feel human again. Why does my head and face overheat first when I’m anxious? Anyone else? Cheers 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Gaina said:
    I put a hot water bottle in the freezer to keep me cool at night. ?
    Great idea
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I am still adjusting to being made housebound prematurely and I tend not to dress which hasn't helped in the hot weather but wearing trousers or even shorts causes much pain from their contact with my leg. I had a very bad day yesterday and remained in my chair as much as possible. Consequently I didn't open the doors and windows or even pull the curtains back. The advice given is certainly correct on that as today and they day before yesterday were definitely more uncomfortable for me due to hear despite having almost every door and window open and having a fan unit running.

With the medication lows causing me to go into hot and cold sweats the heat has become most unwelcome but fortunately it occurs usually only every third day.

Other than that the only problem I have with these lists is my aversion to drinking water. I think the medication has affected my sense of taste as water, even bottled, tasted fairly awful. I drink mostly coke which is probably against the advice but always drink a glass of squash and usually a milkshake between bottles.

Oddly, to most people's surprise, the temperature has no actual effect on my spinal condition, no matter whether it is hot, cold, wet or dry. One thing that is in my favour, lol!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Keiko
    Keiko Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I dont suffer much in the heat really. Only problem I have is my stump swells upto the size of a balloon, which doesnt help when Im trying to learn how to walk witj my new leg. 
  • bevt2017
    bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Hi @Lasian_Scope

Awesome post!
    With me it's insects.
    Every summer for two years I've had infections due to insect bites.
    Not had any yet, so hopefully I don't have any outbreaks this year. ?
  • Annabelle26
    Annabelle26 Scope Member Posts: 105 Pioneering
    I really suffer in the heat.  When I go out sometimes I feel as if I am fighting my way through curtains.  I have washes but have been staying in my nightwear as it is the coolest lightest clothes I have & only get dressed when I have to go out.  I too always have a supply of rehydration sachets in the cupboard because I sometimes have internal problems which causes problems so do get dehydrated easily but this sort of weather I am inclined to drink rather than eat as I have a very poor appetite.  I am one of those people who hate this weather & do note like it when the temperature rises above 20c & feel worse & worse as the temperature goes up. B):|:(<3
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    [This has been reposted as we are expected EVEN MORE heat, please stay safe!]
    Scope

• feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    I usually go naked or topless this past two years now, my kids don't care and are used to it already. because their mates are calling round a lot coz it's the holidays i'm having to wear a crop top, it's really hurting my neck though (my boobs aren't big, just i have neck issues).
  • Trekster
    Trekster Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Thank you @Sam_Scope :)

I hadn't thought of rehydration sachets before, I'll definitely be getting some of those!

My PoTS gets much worse in hot weather, so I have some reusable gel cold packs that can be put in the freezer for a while and then used to keep me cool.
    Where do you get the gel packs from? I have a hyperkewel vest which I soak in water but it dries up easily. 

Brightness