Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Hot tips on staying cool and safe in warm weather
With the next few days being forecast with high temperatures and as we're making our way through Summer, we wanted to share some advice from Public Health England and the NHS on how to stay safe.
- Stay hydrated! Make sure to drink cold drinks regularly – water is best, but if you want fruit juice then you can mix some water into that. Try to avoid excess alcohol, caffeine (tea, coffee and some fizzy drinks) or drinks high in sugar.
- Get advice from a medical professional if you have any worries or doubts.
- Check the storage instructions on your medication to see if you need to move them to a cooler place.
- Carry on taking all prescribed medicines unless advised not to by a medical professional, but be aware that some prescription medicines can reduce your tolerance of heat.
- Try to avoid the heat by staying out of the sun when it’s the hottest part of the day – this is usually between 11am and 3pm.
- Wear loose, cool clothing, and a hat and sunglasses if you go outdoors. Don’t forget your sunscreen!
- Shut windows and pull your shades or light-coloured curtains when if it is hotter outside than in your home (metallic blinds and dark curtains can make the room hotter). You can then open the windows for ventilation when it is cooler.
- If you can, have cool baths or showers and splash yourself with cool water.
- Identify the coolest room you have access to, so you know where to go to keep cool.
- Check the weather forecast and any high-temperature health warnings at www.metoffice.gov.uk
Watch out for heat exhaustion and heatstroke! Please have a look at the symptoms that NHS choices has listed so that you are of what to look out for and the steps that you should take if someone exhibits them - including when you to call 999.
These are just a few helpful tips to keep you safe in hot weather. To help keep yourself as safe as possible, you can read Public Health England’s “Beat The Heat” leaflet to get more suggestions and information.
How do you keep cool during hot weather? Do you love warm, sunny days or prefer when you can stay wrapped up? How do hot temperatures affect you?
- 52.9K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 148 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 574 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 276 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 673 Chronic pain and pain management
- 699 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 925 Mental health and wellbeing
- 297 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.