UC and premiums — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC and premiums

lovejoywelsh
lovejoywelsh Community member Posts: 8 Connected
edited July 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)

Comments

• lovejoywelsh
    edited June 2018
    Hi
    I have PIP and the premiums added to your JSA. so, £213.30 JSA.
    I see PIP continue outside UC.

My premiums added to your JSA, would that be lost in Universal Credit. (i.e £462.15 plus housing) or £316.76

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi
    I have PIP and the premiums added to your JSA. so, £213.30 JSA.
    I see PIP continue outside UC.

My premiums added to your JSA, would that be lost in Universal Credit. (i.e £462.15 plus housing) or £316.76

At the moment no premiums are paid with UC. There will be a transitional protection in place when people do start to move across from 2019 but if a chage of circumstances prompts a move across you will lose the premiums.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lovejoywelsh
    edited June 2018
    Thanks
    So, best to transfer before getting a part time or full time job to get Transitional Protection.

What if I am moved over this year, would be no 
    Transitional Protection.

Would Job centre undertake the 
    Transitional Protection or would there be a tick box on UC,

Under Shaw Trust and starting a RISE study with Birmingham and Warwick University for people with chronic back pain.

It's a study group and they get you work experience placement and report back to them over the year.
  • lovejoywelsh
    As I the oldie song, "Do I say or do I go", to UC.
    And this or next year.
    But, my Job centre Coventry, state all be transferred by end of this year.
  • poppy123456
    Thanks
    So, best to transfer before getting a part time or full time job to get Transitional Protection.

What if I am moved over this year, would be no 
    Transitional Protection.

Would Job centre undertake the 
    Transitional Protection or would there be a tick box on UC,

Under Shaw Trust and starting a RISE study with Birmingham and Warwick University for people with chronic back pain.

It's a study group and they get you work experience placement and report back to them over the year.
    There's no transitional protection is not available to anyone yet because it hasn't started. This won't happen until migration starts for those on the legacy benefits and this could be anything from 2019 and much later for some people.

If a change of circumstances mean you have to apply for UC before the migration starts then you will lose your JSA premiums.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    lovejoywelsh,

You don't move to UC just because your Jobcentre is starting to deliver UC. If a change of circumstances means you have to make a new claim for benefit, you may end up on UC because you can't avoid having to make a claim (this only applies to new claims for irESA, Income Support, income-based JSA, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Housing Benefit - once Coventry is 'full service' for UC, new claims for those benefits can't be made & it has to be UC). Nobody 'moves' you at the moment - it's up to you whether to claim, though help may be available if you do need to.

If because of your study and/or work, one of your existing benefits (for example, JSA or HB) stopped, and then you had to make a new claim after Coventry was delivering UC, then you would currently have to claim UC. 

However, the Secretary of State for Work & Pensions recently said they are going to stop people entitled to the severe disability premium from being moved to UC UNTIL there is transitional protection. This hasn't happened yet, but we expect it to happen soon. So you might not have to claim UC in any case, or at least, not until July 2019 at the earliest. You'd make a new claim for one of the old benefits instead (eg JSA and/or HB). 

Eventually, when you claim UC in what is called 'managed migration', which is when the DWP write to you & tell you your existing benefit is stopping & UC has to be claimed (a process which is not due to start until July 2019, & could be much later), then you WILL get transitional protection - in other words, you won't lose money

If it happens that you claim UC in 'natural migration' before they change the rules & stop people entitled to the SDP from moving, it will only be because you need for some reason to make a new claim (for example, because of study/work JSA has to stop, then later you need to claim again and it has to be UC). In this case you WILL get a payment from the government to make up for the loss (the Secretary of State announced this recently). We don't have any details of how this will work at the moment though.

My advice would be to avoid claiming UC until you have to though. That's because the longer you can leave it, the more likely it is that they'll have changed the rules so that people getting the severe disability premiums don't have to claim UC until at least July 2019.

I hope this helps.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• ESAESA
    ESAESA Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    hi lovejoywelsh.
    I was just reading through and saw yr post.
    Im so confused. Im on ESA Cb . I Receive Pip standard rate Care  and Enhanced rate Mobilty.  Just completed a claim form sent by DWP last week telling me i MAY be entitled to Inc Related ESA  premium which i wasn't awarded when placed on ESA contribution based several years ago. I didnt know  about it to be fair..Out of the blue DWP sent me this form. I heard from a friend that if i go ahead with the claim , il get put onto UC and lose any premium anyway, if im entitled to, as i will have to transition over to UC BEFORE july 2019 n lose any of the protection u mentioned above  . is it a ploy for me do something I'll regret later.? Anxiety topup! :(
    Any advice or rights i have? 
    Kindest Regards 
  • poppy123456
    ESAESA said:
    hi lovejoywelsh.
    I was just reading through and saw yr post.
    Im so confused. Im on ESA Cb . I Receive Pip standard rate Care  and Enhanced rate Mobilty.  Just completed a claim form sent by DWP last week telling me i MAY be entitled to Inc Related ESA  premium which i wasn't awarded when placed on ESA contribution based several years ago. I didnt know  about it to be fair..Out of the blue DWP sent me this form. I heard from a friend that if i go ahead with the claim , il get put onto UC and lose any premium anyway, if im entitled to, as i will have to transition over to UC BEFORE july 2019 n lose any of the protection u mentioned above  . is it a ploy for me do something I'll regret later.? Anxiety topup! :(
    Any advice or rights i have? 
    Kindest Regards 
    I have heard that this can happen if you're in a full UC area, i have no idea if this is true or not.
  • lovejoywelsh
    I asked the Job centre, a number of times about Transitional Protection and each time, I get this don't about this.
    I would like something, I can print out and show the person, if and when they migrate me over to UC. Before 
    Transitional Protection starts up next year.
    Coventry is live this week

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.