Refused working tax, what to do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused working tax, what to do?

alikev69
alikev69 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
My husband had to leave offshore work to care for me ,he receives carers allowance but can he apply for working tax as he looks after me more than 35 hrs a week ,have applied but refused ? anyone else have info on what I do now ?

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @alikev69, and a warm welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about your situation. I wonder if @Gill_Scope has any suggestions?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi alikev69

I'm glad that you got in touch.

Carers Allowance is £64.60 per week, for a 35 hour week - not sure what rate of pay this works out at, but it isn't well paid. 

Carers Allowance can be topped up with either income support or universal credit, depending upon whether you are in a full service universal credit area or not. As you may know, universal credit is being phased in on a rolling programme across the UK, and income support is similarly being phased out, so you need to find out whether his local jobcentre has been converted to the new system or not. 

Your brother may want to do a benefits check to see what else he can claim in his specific circumstances, and in his area - there are so many ifs and buts with benefits, so this is the best plan probably. 

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check

Do get back i touch if this doesn't help.

Gill_Scope
    (Benefits and Finance Information Officer,
    Scope Helpline)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,921 Disability Gamechanger
    alikev69 said:
    My husband had to leave offshore work to care for me ,he receives carers allowance but can he apply for working tax as he looks after me more than 35 hrs a week ,have applied but refused ? anyone else have info on what I do now ?
    You can't claim working tax credits form claiming carers allowance, even though he's caring for you for more than 35 hours. See the advice from Gill for what you can possibly claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.