Cerebral Palsy
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Funding issue for power of attorney

natasha29natasha29 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2018 in Cerebral Palsy
Hi,my boyfriend has a daughter who is severely disabled with cerebral palsy and now he has to try to find £3,000 pound for the power of attorney, does anyone know if this is right ? Plus if there is any help he can get with this as her mother has all the benefits but he cares for her more than her 


  • Richard_ScopeRichard_Scope Posts: 2,783

    Scope community team

    Hi @natasha29
    Thanks for your post.
    It very much depends on the custody arrangements for your boyfriend's daughter. I would recommend that your boyfriend makes an appointment to see the Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB).
    Specialist Information Officer - Cerebral Palsy

    Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • atlas46atlas46 Member Posts: 827 Pioneering

    I strongly support @Richard_Scope, your boyfriend needs legal advice, he should contact a local Law Centre.

    There is no funding for LPA.

    He needs to understand that he has to obtain the agreement of interested parties. I am thinking of the child's mother.

    Otherwise he will find he will have prove his case at The Court of Protection, in London.

    He could also see if he can get pro bono support, but he would have explain his motives.

    You cannot cost anything at the stage, so ? The £3,000.
  • Jean_OTJean_OT Member Posts: 528 Pioneering
    Hi @natasha29

    I agree that some legal advice would be useful for your boyfriend but I thought it might also be useful if I clarified a few points.

    Power of Attorney is a legal instrument that is only potentially appropriate if your boyfriends daughter is over 18 years of age and has enough understanding of what it means that she can give informed consent to the process.

    If she can't give informed consent Power of Attorney is not possible and instead he would be looking at a more complex process of applying to be made her Deputy by the Court of Protection. The Court would closely examine the circumstances to see if she needs a Deputy and who the most appropriate person for the role would be.

    There is some basic information about the difference between the two processes on the Scope website at:     
    https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/power-of-attorney or more detailed information at: 

    Both processes have normally have costs involved. Power of Attorney is normally cheaper. Some people do the forms for it themselves avoiding legal charges and if the disabled person is an means-tested benefits they can apply for a reduction in application fees. 

    For a Deputy application, especially if it was contested, most people would need legal representation, and again their are application fees involved so for most people the process would be in the region of £3K but there is a possibility of getting some costs reduced: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/697074/opg120-get-help-with-paying-opg-deputy-fees.pdf

    Hope this helps to clarify matters

    Best wishes

    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Sign in or join us to comment.