Funding issue for power of attorney — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Funding issue for power of attorney

natasha29 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2018 in Cerebral palsy
Hi,my boyfriend has a daughter who is severely disabled with cerebral palsy and now he has to try to find £3,000 pound for the power of attorney, does anyone know if this is right ? Plus if there is any help he can get with this as her mother has all the benefits but he cares for her more than her 


  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,115

    Scope community team

    Hi @natasha29
    Thanks for your post.
    It very much depends on the custody arrangements for your boyfriend's daughter. I would recommend that your boyfriend makes an appointment to see the Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB).
    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering

    I strongly support @Richard_Scope, your boyfriend needs legal advice, he should contact a local Law Centre.

    There is no funding for LPA.

    He needs to understand that he has to obtain the agreement of interested parties. I am thinking of the child's mother.

    Otherwise he will find he will have prove his case at The Court of Protection, in London.

    He could also see if he can get pro bono support, but he would have explain his motives.

    You cannot cost anything at the stage, so ? The £3,000.
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @natasha29

    I agree that some legal advice would be useful for your boyfriend but I thought it might also be useful if I clarified a few points.

    Power of Attorney is a legal instrument that is only potentially appropriate if your boyfriends daughter is over 18 years of age and has enough understanding of what it means that she can give informed consent to the process.

    If she can't give informed consent Power of Attorney is not possible and instead he would be looking at a more complex process of applying to be made her Deputy by the Court of Protection. The Court would closely examine the circumstances to see if she needs a Deputy and who the most appropriate person for the role would be.

    There is some basic information about the difference between the two processes on the Scope website at: or more detailed information at:

    Both processes have normally have costs involved. Power of Attorney is normally cheaper. Some people do the forms for it themselves avoiding legal charges and if the disabled person is an means-tested benefits they can apply for a reduction in application fees. 

    For a Deputy application, especially if it was contested, most people would need legal representation, and again their are application fees involved so for most people the process would be in the region of £3K but there is a possibility of getting some costs reduced:

    Hope this helps to clarify matters

    Best wishes

    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at:


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.