Would I qualify for maintenance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would I qualify for maintenance?

Options
pastorpeter
pastorpeter Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi folks.im married 2years to my filipino wife.can you tell me.i have stage4 terminal lung cancer.im on esa £125 per wk.pip is enhanced £124 per wk.im just about to rent new flat where my rent and mort of councl tax is paid by the council.would i qualify on maintainece.i have worked most of my life and served my country in guards regiment.i need my wife.thankyou all

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @pastorpeter

Good Morning & Welcome.

It’s great to meet you today.

We have got some “Benefit Advisors” on our site.

I will forward your post if that will help !!!!!  

Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

Can you please assist me with this post????

Many thanks.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello pastorpeter

To ensure that we are giving you correct advice. I need a bit more  information. 

You mentioned that you are on maintenance.  What do you mean by this? Is this an income you receive from serving in the guards regiment? 

In addition you mentioned that your wife is from the Philippines?  I just wanted to check if your wife is subject to any immigration control e.g. needed leave to enter or remain in GB, or has any 'no recourse to public funds' restriction? 

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

• pastorpeter
    Options
    Hi thanks for reply.i want to bring my wife to uk.the maitainence is a way on spouse visa if on any disability benifits.would i qualify on my full pip and esa support group.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @pastorpeter,

What you are looking for here is immigration advice not benefits advice I think.

My vague understanding of the subject (and what I think you're asking) is that where sponsors are in receipt of disability benefits (such as yourself) the earnings threshold for immigration applications is waived, and you only need to show that you are receiving enough benefit to meet the 'applicable amount' for both yourself and your wife. If what you want to know is "what is that" the answer is:-

114.85 basic couples rate + rent + council tax (depending on what you are liable for). So if you receive full Housing Ben and Council Tax Ben, then PROBABLY you are within the exception.

HOWEVER, let me offer a very severe disclaimer here, that what I think you require is immigration advice, from an immigration adviser, and I would strongly urge you to seek that, as aside from avoiding the earnings threshold, there are A LOT of other costs involved in immigration applications.

Best of luck with it though - I wish you every success!

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• pastorpeter
    Options
    Thankyou for your help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.