Help needed! Changing from DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help needed! Changing from DLA to PIP

sahara01
sahara01 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I recently received my letter to change from .DLA to PIP
I've been trying to do research on the qhesi but am xonfucon about a couple of questions
I have 26 chronic medical conditions including a degenerative slipped disc im In severe pain constantly it never goes 
I dont know how many metres to put down on my form as I'm in pain when I'm not walking but push myself to walk 
Do I put less than 20m due to being in pain constantly or 20 to 50m
All this is really stressing me out.bad enough I have another op on the 16tv

Comments

• affii1993
    affii1993 Community member Posts: 103 Courageous
  • GoForIt
    GoForIt Community member Posts: 44 Connected
    Put less then 20meters. Then explain in box.please make sure you take someone with you to your assessment,better still record it. Best wishes
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Request a taxi to and from the acessment Center you pay upfront then claim back afterwards. Don't rush or feel intimidated moving from waiting area to interview room. When asked to do certain leg arm movements do not try to comply with the requests if it wiil, does cause you pain or discomfort or worsens your condition. Take someone with you and most definitely put lees than 20 meters on your applecation form, and add you are in pain all the time. Keep posting and update us on your PIP acessment.
  • sahara01
    Thanks guys for the replies
    I'm scared to death of losing my mobility vehicle especially as I can't use public transport (can't do stairs) and which I've had since the mid 90s
    As mentioned im In constant pain but "push through pain to walk" sometimes more than 50m.vht only because Im pushing myself and trying to igbore the pain!!
    At least with DLA it used to say "how far can you walk without being in pain" or words to that affect which of course was not at all!!

• sahara01
    Oh and meant to say I will be requesting a home visit and getting a letter from .my GP in support of this 
    Really stressed out to the max 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    The criterion is how far can you walk before you need to stop and rest for a few minutes because of pain, stiffness or fatigue.  This needs to apply 50% of the time, i.e. at least 4 days a week.  Don't overthink it.
  • sahara01
    I'm in severe pain from head to foot all the time
  • sahara01
    But push myself to walk but bcoz of the pain, not to an acceptable standard
    Struggle to use a stick as it puts more pressures/Pain on my body
  • lifeonwheels
    lifeonwheels Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Poor you, Sahara! But it's really not worth being stressed out 'to the max'. My f2f was a long time ago but advice given to me from what I remember - yep, have a companion with you for a variety of reasons - they can understand the questions better than you may be able to if you're stressed and therefore not able to focus, they can 'fill in the gaps' including if you disappear to use the loo (don't suffer!!), also, it's reassuring to have someone 'on your side'.
    Afterwards, ask for a copy of the report to be sent - it will probably arrive before the decision and so you will know more what to expect and whether or not to appeal.
    Please don't have sleepness nights. I feel that decisions are fairer now then they used to be! I hope I'm right.
    Good luck x
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I feel that decisions are fairer now then they used to be! I hope I'm right.
    Good luck x
    Is that actually the case?? The assessment reports and the decisions that I have had in the past 5 years were totally wrong, So wrong that I went from 0 points to enhanced Mobility & Care twice following an MR. The third decision this year was also 0 points but this time they refused to change it at the MR stage.   
  • sahara01
    Thanks lifeonwheels
    I'm requesting a home visit and getting a letter of support from my doctor 
    After my op on 16th it will take me several weeks to recover so won't be able to go anywhere 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Yadnad said:

Is that actually the case?? The assessment reports and the decisions that I have had in the past 5 years were totally wrong, So wrong that I went from 0 points to enhanced Mobility & Care twice following an MR. The third decision this year was also 0 points but this time they refused to change it at the MR stage.   
    Almost every thread i read i see negative comments from you, with your life story. People do claim PIP successfully and there's no need to take such a negative approach, especially for those that are scared to death already.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sahara01
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Hi Sahara god its nerve wracking isent it .just had my home assessment. My son was here he thought it went well .hard explains fluctuations in conditions .I do go out once a week with door too door transport .and was honest about it ..in general I find home visits better but had too argue the toss about it ..felt like I could of said more but fatigue was setting in .will let u no .I pray she's an honest asseser. I'd say try  not too worry but we all do lol .
  • littleruthie123
    P.s who do I ring for report please?.I can't remember? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    P.s who do I ring for report please?.I can't remember? 
    PIP but wait until middle of next week because it can take this long to receive both reports back and they won't send you a copy until the receive both. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • littleruthie123
    Thanks poppy 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    Yadnad said:

Almost every thread i read i see negative comments from you, with your life story. People do claim PIP successfully and there's no need to take such a negative approach, especially for those that are scared to death already.
    I agree, I read people’s stories and it scares me so much. 
  • GoForIt
    GoForIt Community member Posts: 44 Connected
    If you want a copy of your medical assessment, you need to ask dept of work and pensions dealing with your pip claim 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Yadnad said:

When replying to a comment that PIP decisions are seemingly now more fairer than they used to be I have found that not to be the case based on factual evidence. Now if you call that a negative approach then yes I am guilty me lady!
    I'm not disputing that the majority of PIP claimants do in fact get an easy ride and are awarded what they believe to be the correct decision - the stats do in fact prove that.
    There are others that find difficulty at every turn and have to fight tooth and nail for what they get.
    The answer does seem to be that those who are happy with their decision manage to get professional welfare advice and support. Those that can't access any seem, like I have been, given the run around by the DWP. 
    Maybe you had professional advice and help or maybe you understand a lot more of how the PIP system works with your daughter's claim. I didn't and have never had that sort of advice or help - hence why I feel so negative sometimes.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.