What evidence should I send? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What evidence should I send?

DawnWalker
DawnWalker Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have just received the "book" to complete to transfer to PIP from DLA.  I receive the higher rate mobility and middle rate care allowances which have been granted for an indefinite period.  I am unsure how best to complete the "book" as I have heard that many deserving people are being "kicked off" - any advice would be greatly appreciated i.e. what evidence should I send etc ?

Comments

• ataloss2018
    ataloss2018 Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    Any evidence that supports your claim for PIP, so Dr's, Consultant, Physio letters, list of medications and anything else relevant.

It is also helpful if you get HCP to write a letter saying how your condition effects your everyday life, this is useful because it helps back up your claim that you meet each of the descriptors that you are claiming under.  An example, if you suffer from inconvenience, wear pads, use medication and need to be close to a loo at all times then ask the HP if they will mention this in the letter.   
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Hiya try not too worry too much .there are fair assessors .remember it's not so much what your conditions you have .but how it effects you everyday also mention any fluctuations you have through the week .if it's not terrible every day explain the good and bad .goI'd luck .there lots of support around 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    I sent in a supporting letter from
    my GP, copies of recent consultations with consultants and my recent medical health evaluation. Anything like that will help, I also had help from a local charity that helped me fill out the form. 
    I got a text from DWP today saying they’d got my form, promptly followed by me having a panic attack and throwing up! I just want it over with, I can’t handle the thought of having a f2f but all my other benefits have been done by paper based so hoping this one will be the same. Good luck. Xx
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    It plays havic with our anxiety so understand how you feel .you will get through it unfortunately something we all have too do .have you got someone too write you require a home assessment. They usually ask for this .space might be worth mentioning too your doctor or support worker .and thank you very good luck too you as well 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    They written saying a assessment with me traumatic for me, I have BPD and complex PTSD, along with numerous other physical issues and the recent report from my spinal surgeon explains that I have very restricted movement in my neck. Less than 50% achieved without pain, weakness in all my limbs so I’m hoping they have enough to go on without needing to see me. Also explains I suffer from fatigue. Xx 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Disability Rights UK has a good guide to claiming PIP including a draft diary that you can adapt.  Good idea to send in a 7 day diary.
  • lucajojo0805
    lucajojo0805 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Just wondering how much extra evidence you are supposed to provide for the Tribunal Hearing, in the way of Doctor's letters etc or can you just go with the original stuff that you sent in ?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

DawnWalker,

As Mike says, identifying what points you should be awarded is a good place to start. Then you know what the form is looking for. You can use the PIP self-test to do this.

Don't worry too much about evidence, but do think about examples as Mike suggests. Be specific. Remember that if an activity isn't safe, or you can't do it as often as you need to because of pain or fatigue, or you can only do it very very slowly, or you can do it, but not to a reasonable standard, then you should NOT be regarded as able to do that thing. If you can do something, but you need help, explain what help you need and what it allows you to do. 

The thing about medical evidence is that it's very unusual for most health professionals you deal with to know what you can and can't do in your everyday life. They don't see you at home, trying to dress, cook, wash etc. They don't know how hard these things are. They can confirm you have certain conditions, and that can be helpful. And some doctors' letters are better than others, but it's very variable. So do concentrate on your own lived experience, and do get familiar with the PIP activities - that will really help to make more sense of the PIP2 questionnaire!

Good luck.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    The thing about medical evidence is that it's very unusual for most health professionals you deal with to know what you can and can't do in your everyday life. They don't see you at home, trying to dress, cook, wash etc. They don't know how hard these things are. They can confirm you have certain conditions, and that can be helpful. 

I agree. My GP knows nothing about my life unless it is something that I have told them which to be honest is very little given that too much info generally leads to more tests, more inquisitions and more hospital appointments!

I like your comment 'it's very unusual for most health professionals you deal with to know what you can and can't do in your everyday life' 

However when it comes to the Disability Analysts that are employed by the DWP's contractors, they come over as being all seeing and all knowing and after approx. 30 mins or so of talking to you, they can make a report that tells the DWP everything there is to know about how your life is impacted through the diseases, illnesses and disabilities that you suffer from.

It would solve everything if GP's, Consultants and other health professionals had the same level of insight.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.