Got To Go For ESA Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Got To Go For ESA Assessment

Options
oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 216 Pioneering
Had a letter Friday requesting me to attend a ESA Assessment. This sent me into mass panic.
So this afternoon I went to my local CAB (Salt of the Earth) and they rang these people to request a home visit.
I had a home visit also 're PIP Assessment, to which I am challenging. Anyhow..
I went to see my GP surgery to see if they could organise/vouch for, a home visit?
When the advisor spoke to the DWP with regard to the assessment, I asked if they could record this.
Has anyone else on this forum had their interviews recorded...Thank you

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi oldngrumpy
    The interviews aren’t recorded but you can request to do so subject to certain rules regarding equipment.My daughter recorded mine on her phone (for personal reference only) and we kept it until the process was over.It wasn’t recorded for anyone else just in case I needed to refer back to it in a written submission.I do caution you that secret recordings are frowned upon and if they catch you doing so they can call a halt to assessment.
    I was blissfully unaware at the time,otherwise I would probably have looked guilty so I would not reccommend anyone do so.
        Debsidoo.x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,994 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For a WCA assessment (ESA) you can request for them to record it and the request will be accommodated where possible. (They don't record PIP assessments) There may also be a delay in having your assessment, if you request a recording. You also need to reques this in advance, and this can mean that you will have to cancel your current date. If you've already canceled one assessment then you won't be able to cancel another. You can of course record it yourself using the correct equipment but you'll also need permission for this and will need to produce 2 identical copies.

I would 100% not recommend you secretly record any assessment either.
    See this link for WCA recordings.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tina1888
    tina1888 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    Options
    I recorded mine secretly and I'm glad I did.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @oldngrumpy

Here is what the Scope website says regarding recording your assessment.

Is it possible to record my assessment?

Atos UK says that customers can record their assessment if you inform Atos beforehand and use (expensive) equipment that can produce two identical copies of the assessment – one for Atos and one for you. Atos doesn’t allow PCs, laptops, tablets, smartphones and MP3.

The DWP (Department for Work and Pensions) has accepted that customers can ask the company conducting Work Capability Assessments for Employment Support Allowance (ESA) to make a recording, if they ask in advance, but this is not available yet for PIP assessments. 

Read what Benefits and Work says about secret recordings.
    (https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/pip/faqs) 

Hope this helps and offers some clarification 
    Scope

• janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Options
    I think frowning upon recordings highlights a lot! 

I would suggest investigating the law regards recording anyone or anything - it’s proved to be v beneficial for numerous victims in the eyes of the law 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,994 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    tina1888 said:
    I recorded mine secretly and I'm glad I did.
    If a claimant is caught recording secretly, their assessment will be stopped, their file returned to DWP and highly likely the benefit will be refused. I wouldn't risk recording anything secretly! Get permission and do it properly.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.