Got To Go For ESA Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Got To Go For ESA Assessment

Had a letter Friday requesting me to attend a ESA Assessment. This sent me into mass panic.
So this afternoon I went to my local CAB (Salt of the Earth) and they rang these people to request a home visit.
I had a home visit also 're PIP Assessment, to which I am challenging. Anyhow..
I went to see my GP surgery to see if they could organise/vouch for, a home visit?
When the advisor spoke to the DWP with regard to the assessment, I asked if they could record this.
Has anyone else on this forum had their interviews recorded...Thank you


  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi oldngrumpy
    The interviews aren’t recorded but you can request to do so subject to certain rules regarding equipment.My daughter recorded mine on her phone (for personal reference only) and we kept it until the process was over.It wasn’t recorded for anyone else just in case I needed to refer back to it in a written submission.I do caution you that secret recordings are frowned upon and if they catch you doing so they can call a halt to assessment.
    I was blissfully unaware at the time,otherwise I would probably have looked guilty so I would not reccommend anyone do so.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,258 Disability Gamechanger
    For a WCA assessment (ESA) you can request for them to record it and the request will be accommodated where possible. (They don't record PIP assessments) There may also be a delay in having your assessment, if you request a recording. You also need to reques this in advance, and this can mean that you will have to cancel your current date. If you've already canceled one assessment then you won't be able to cancel another. You can of course record it yourself using the correct equipment but you'll also need permission for this and will need to produce 2 identical copies.

    I would 100% not recommend you secretly record any assessment either.
    See this link for WCA recordings.

  • tina1888
    tina1888 Member Posts: 85 Courageous
    I recorded mine secretly and I'm glad I did.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oldngrumpy

    Here is what the Scope website says regarding recording your assessment.

    Is it possible to record my assessment?

    Atos UK says that customers can record their assessment if you inform Atos beforehand and use (expensive) equipment that can produce two identical copies of the assessment – one for Atos and one for you. Atos doesn’t allow PCs, laptops, tablets, smartphones and MP3.

    The DWP (Department for Work and Pensions) has accepted that customers can ask the company conducting Work Capability Assessments for Employment Support Allowance (ESA) to make a recording, if they ask in advance, but this is not available yet for PIP assessments. 

    Read what Benefits and Work says about secret recordings.

    Hope this helps and offers some clarification 

  • janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    I think frowning upon recordings highlights a lot! 

    I would suggest investigating the law regards recording anyone or anything - it’s proved to be v beneficial for numerous victims in the eyes of the law 

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,258 Disability Gamechanger
    tina1888 said:
    I recorded mine secretly and I'm glad I did.
    If a claimant is caught recording secretly, their assessment will be stopped, their file returned to DWP and highly likely the benefit will be refused. I wouldn't risk recording anything secretly! Get permission and do it properly.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.