PIP question, leaving the home. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP question, leaving the home.

Options
szaxe
szaxe Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I went from DLA to PIP over a year ago  .... I never leave the house and was awarded :-

(e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.) 

I got extra points for walking ....

I am getting older now and my health is getting bad, and my fear of something going wrong and not being able to get to a doctors is frightening me. I am totally alone, I have no friends or family in the area I live.

I am considering buying a car just in case and taking it for a run each week to keep the battery topped up (I have everything delivered)

Will this effect my award?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    Options
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @szaxe, hello and welcome, have you thought about a mobility scooter? Buying a car is an exspence plus insurance, running costs mot ect. Unless you are going to use it a lot I would do your sums and think about getting a mobility scooter there are many second hand ones and dealers will come to,you and demonstrate different models. At the end of the day it your money your choice.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @szaxe have you considered a community alarm? Some organisations offer them and they are not expensive. We got one for my dad as he was alone at home for several hours a day and sometimes he took unwell and fell over and was stuck. He got the one with the wristband you can wear connected to his alarm and landline. He never used it but it was peace of mind fof everyone that he could ask for help. He wasn’t allowed to drive at the time. May be worth looking into?
  • debbiedo49
    Options
    Also have you thought of getting a home help in or carers as they can help you feel less alone and maybe point you towards other community services. 
  • szaxe
    szaxe Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions, but I don't want people in my home and I don't want to go out in a scooter  ... I have had an 8mph scooter for 4 years and I have never used it. And everything such as docors is a good distance away  ... and the hospital is 30 miles away

up until just over  a year ago I had a car  ... I took it out once a week to keep the battery charged and it did two things  ... made me feel more secure and I had to go out at least once a week.

• debbiedo49
    Options
    If you are fit to drive then you can drive a car. That’s up to you. It’s a tricky one with pip etc hope you get some advice soon.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi

From your post you assert you got 10 points for planning and further points for moving around, that gives you at least 14 points.

The means you got enhanced mobility of £3107 pa.

Excuse the pun, but I want to park the car for now.

Have you got a disabled bus pass?

You can also get a companion bus pass on your behalf.

Have you joined your Community Transport Scheme?

Have you contacted your local NHS ambulance trust, so you can use the Patient Transport Service PTS, for your 30 miles trip to your local hospital?

Have you engaged with your GP, to seek home visits?

Now the car.

If you are now saying you can undertake a journey, by driving your car, merely to keep the battery charged, then you would not meet descriptor 1e.

@Username_removed any thoughts Mike?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.