Mental health fibs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental health fibs

littleruthie123
littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
Hi I received my assessment forms .points wise it's looking good .but only if dwp agree of course .she was truthful and fair .but nothing for my mental health  this really gets me as I no how much I see assesers doing it in general. I have bad depression anxiety complex p.t.s.d. and some agraphobia. I guess it's the principle I don't get .she quickly asked me 5 mins as she was leaving almost like shed forgotten.can you leave feedback somehow as just don't feel it's fair .it's not about the points as such 

Comments

• Jomiranda
    Jomiranda Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    Asseser's really!! They just don't understand Mental Health. My Son has Autistic Spectrum disorder & Recovering Simple Sychosis. They took his DLA away as he could talk ok & now Dwp Job Club. It gets my Goat. The amount of Stress they have caused him & myself about it All. I'm Not Happy. Good Luck to yourself.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I claimed for the difficulties arising from long term PTSD and depression.
    The assessor wrote about 14 lines of reasons why I don't have a mental health illness.
    I already get a different lifelong benefit award for these problems but this was ignored as was the medication I take on a daily basis.

Knowing that I would never be believed I didn't include the above on either of the following two review claims.
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    It's so bad .they must get told too ignore it .I only ever had it acknowledged once about 3 years ago then nothing since 
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    edited July 2018
    I got told i do not look mentally ill so am not ill.
    Someone i know is on medication for schizophrenia (because they have that along with psychosis) got told in their assessment report that they are not ill with schizophrenia because they were able to look the assessor in the eye. They haven't a clue what they're doing and i think they just google for any old rubbish that contradicts a persons diagnosis and shove it on their reports tbh.
  • Jomiranda
    Sounds like So Many are being Swept off of Their Benefit or dropped down. This isn't right.
    My Husbands younger Brother had Paranoid Schytsophrenia if i spelt right lol. He died 2 yrs ago Nov. Due to Meds harming Organs etc & Heartattack was final end at 43yrs old.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    It's so bad .they must get told too ignore it .I only ever had it acknowledged once about 3 years ago then nothing since 

The only time specific mental health came to be believed was when I saw a DWP doctor who assessed me for PTSD and associated other conditions. 

The most recent reassessment was in 2011 and took nearly an hour and was very thorough. He read all of the psychiatric reports and those from the psychologists/OT & CPN etc. The report he sent to the DWP was that I had lost use of 40% of my mental functions. The DWP agreed and awarded me the benefit at the 40% rate for life.

Yet in 2013 when I had my first PIP face to face assessment the assessor AND the DWP completely ignored the award that their department had granted me for a different benefit as well as the other evidence sent in and decided that as I did not rock in the chair, looked the assessor in the eye, was able to converse clearly, was not sweating etc etc  I do not suffer from any mental illness. 

• Jomiranda
    Also the Mental Health out patient Dr struck my Son off because he missed 3 appm'nts & a letter sent saying if he ever wanted to speak to Nurse ring. He doesn't think he has any Mental Health issues & won't ask for help, because Meds made him much larger & he has now dropped weight & only on 5mg. But they do cause some spouts of Deep Depression, i can help him out of those times usually.
    So Nice to talk to others on here that have experiences & understanding. Wish The System Did!!
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    My Refractory Major Depressive Disorder, Generalised Anxiety Disorder (both since childhood) and BPD (6 years) are apparently non-existent because I didn't seem anxious or withdrawn. I was insanely anxious!!
  • Jomiranda
    Sympothies with that. I also suffer with ex anxiety, panic attacks, broken crystals in my ears causes me Vertigo on & off, so i find driving more than a few roads away a bit panicky sometimes. I'm not on Benefits & havent applied because i'm Carer for Son & its hard enough going to all his Assesments & other appointments. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.