CAR TAX REFUND — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CAR TAX REFUND

markyboy
markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
I would like to make all members aware about car tax refunds 
I had my PIP reviewed and subsequently had my mobility award reduced from enhanced to standard and a few months later my car tax was due and i had to pay the 50% despite me appealing the award which eventually i won 10 months later so i then wrote to the DVLA and sent them proof that i was entitled to free car tax for that period and they refunded the full amount i had paid 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @markyboy thank you very much for letting us know this!
    Scope

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    markyboy said:
    I would like to make all members aware about car tax refunds 
    I had my PIP reviewed and subsequently had my mobility award reduced from enhanced to standard and a few months later my car tax was due and i had to pay the 50% despite me appealing the award which eventually i won 10 months later so i then wrote to the DVLA and sent them proof that i was entitled to free car tax for that period and they refunded the full amount i had paid 
    I am amazed. In the past OK yes, it was 2011, I had to pay full road tax as I had failed to deal with the renewal of my DLA in 2004 and consequently they took everything off me for 7 years. I remember the feeling of getting my High Mobility & Care award back and the obvious back pay to when the claim had been submitted (7 months). The DVLA would only repay the unexpired amount as from the start of the month following when the decision notice had been received. The previous 7 months I had to pay the full tax even though the award was backdated for that 7 month period.To this end they refused to backdate the change of class from private to disabled.

Maybe things have moved on or maybe someone at the DVLA has made an error.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.