Filling in application form — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Filling in application form

boggle10
boggle10 Community member Posts: 23 Listener
Need help with this form I'm getting overwhelmed 

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi boggle10
    i am assuming you need help with either esa or pip forms.You can get help filling these out from the CAB or age U.K. Just contact your nearest and make an appointment.They will talk you through it and let you know what evidence you need to include with it.
    Remember keep a copy of everything that is sent and always send it signed for so that you have proof.Good luck.
          Debsidoo.x
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    debsidoo said:
    Hi boggle10
    i am assuming you need help with either esa or pip forms.You can get help filling these out from the CAB or age U.K. Just contact your nearest and make an appointment.
    I'm not being negative but do not be disappointed if either of those cannot offer an appointment for many weeks if ever.
    Been there over the past 5 years and never actually managed to get an appointment with either within a reasonable time frame.

Alternatively there is plenty of good advice on the web including this site and the CAB one.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello!

Which form are you referring to? If you are talking about the DLA forms then contact your local CAB agency to make a appointment. Or you could use one of those published guides online to help you answer the questions properly too. A social worker can also be a good source of information and assistance regarding the paperwork required. Remember to have enough evidence to support your claim form. Make photocopies of everything. Read the questions carefully. We have a wealth of knowledge and information about benefits forms so you have come to the right place for information and advice. What condition(s) does your child have? What does she or he find hard to do? How old is she or he now? 

Best of luck!! 
  • boggle10
    I'm using to cab web site. But I'm actually finding it hard to describe how I feel and the day to day way I have to live
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Disability Rights UK site gives a draft diary that gives an outline of what a disabled person's day might be like.  Good idea to include a 7 day diary with your application form.
  • boggle10
    Sorry folks it pip form and I have fibro and osteoarthritis and I'm in agony most days. But as I said it hard to describe to be honest
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi boggle10
    i know in some areas you can get someone from Age U.K.to help with your forms.If you can contact your local branch office they will be able to tell you more.You don’t have to be a pensioner to ask for help but I have no idea what the lower age limit is.Good luck.
         Debsidoo.x
  • Yadnad
    debsidoo said:
    Hi boggle10
    i know in some areas you can get someone from Age U.K.to help with your forms.If you can contact your local branch office they will be able to tell you more.You don’t have to be a pensioner to ask for help but I have no idea what the lower age limit is.Good luck.
         Debsidoo.x
    I believe that it is 55??
  • WHAT
    WHAT Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Do you have any One Stop Shops nearby? I am lucky enough to have my wife work in one and she knew of a lovely man who dealt with all PIP/DLA/ESA paperwork with you. Maybe go an enquire if there is anyone similar there than you can see?
  • Yadnad
    What is a 'One Stop Shop'?

• WHAT
    Yadnad said:

They are usually run by the local councils, i live on the Wirral and there are many of them dotted about, you can go and ask advice about any service available be it anything to do with taxes or benefits. 
  • boggle10
    I live in northern Ireland. 
  • Yadnad
    WHAT said:
    Yadnad said:

They are usually run by the local councils, i live on the Wirral and there are many of them dotted about, you can go and ask advice about any service available be it anything to do with taxes or benefits. 
    Thanks I see. Unfortunately from personal knowledge of my council and being a councillor myself  I know that such a system does not exist here. Likewise the County Council itself offers no help other than the entitlement to have a Welfare Rights Officer assigned to you provided that you are someone who is currently entitled to Social Services involvement for domestic abuse, sexual abuse and the inability to make decisions about your own life due to age or infirmity.  
  • WHAT
    boggle10 said:
    Yeah i wasnt assuming you live on the Wirral :P But maybe you have some OSS nearby, they can usually help on the spot rather than needing to make an appointment with CAB (which you have to do here as they are so busy and cutbacks etc).
  • Yadnad
    WHAT said:
    boggle10 said:
    Yeah i wasnt assuming you live on the Wirral :P But maybe you have some OSS nearby, they can usually help on the spot rather than needing to make an appointment with CAB (which you have to do here as they are so busy and cutbacks etc).
    Most people have to do it themselves nowadays without any help or advice.

What I can say is that with three face to face assessments for PIP in the past 5 years and after joining this website, I now realise that the way I filled out the forms, how I presented my evidence and how I handled the assessments was all wrong and it did me no favours. Too late for me now as they took all of the PIP award off me (High Mobility & Care) and being 70, too old to make a new claim.

Make sure you get advice from websites like this one and never think you know what to do, make sure you know what to do.
  • WHAT
    Yadnad said:
    WHAT said:
    boggle10 said:
    Most people have to do it themselves nowadays without any help or advice.

Yeah its a shame as its a totally confusing form (on purpose) I'm lucky i had someone to help me that knew exactly how to fill it out and the context to answer the questions.
  • boggle10
    I used the c.a.b. questions and help with answers. But I'm worried sick, I need tipex because I think I went into too much detail. 
  • WHAT
    edited July 2018
    boggle10 said:
    I used the c.a.b. questions and help with answers. But I'm worried sick, I need tipex because I think I went into too much detail. 
    You can never not go into too much detail, tell them everything about your disability in minute detail, the more you say the more it helps.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Disability Rights UK site also has a guide to PIP applications including a draft diary you can adapt.  Good idea to include a 7 day diary with your application.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Hi when you said "too old at 70 to make new claim"
    What happens when a claim runs out and you turn 70?
    Please give full info as need to show group of friends 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.