PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Want to give us your opinion? Complete our annual survey.

Claiming for PIP

BobconBobcon Member Posts: 6 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hi I have received word that My DLA is coming to an end I have had DLA for 27 years which I’ve always used a mobility car I have now to claim for Pip and I’m worried sick does anyone else feel like this I missed the 2013 deadline by 2 months I am now 69

Replies

• Liam_AlumniLiam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,113 Pioneering
    Hi @Bobcon,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here. :)

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having - it sounds like a really stressful time.

Have you had a look at our Personal Independence Payment pages on our website? They may be useful and of interest to you. I've also moved this discussion into our PIP category, so other members of our community can offer advice and support.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, then please do get in touch! 
    Liam
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Bobcon said:
    Hi I have received word that My DLA is coming to an end I have had DLA for 27 years which I’ve always used a mobility car I have now to claim for Pip and I’m worried sick does anyone else feel like this I missed the 2013 deadline by 2 months I am now 69

Hi,
    Yes every single person feels exactly the same. You now need to ring PIP to start your claim off before the date on the letter. They will them send you the PIP2 forms to fill in. I'd advise you get some help to fill those forms in from your local CAB or the likes.

You'll need to make sure you send evidence with the forms because they very rarely contact anyone for evidence. The onus is on you to make sure it's sent.

PIP and DLA is completely different. Take a look online at the PIP descriptors so you'll know how the points system works for an award. Expect a face 2 face assessment as most people have them.

As long as those forms are returned by the deadline, your DLA will continue until a decision is made on the PIP. Good luck.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,833 Disability Gamechanger
    When you ring PIP they are asking you questions based on the PIP 1 form. This should include whether or not you want the evidence from your DLA award to be taken into account. When the call handler works for an outsourced company they often don’t ask these questions in full. So, you should raise the DLA issue if they don’t and then you should insist you want a copy of the PIP 1 BEFORE they send out the PIP 2. This is important because if you ever get to the appeal stage tribunal now want the PIP 1 in the appeal papers and the DLA evidence. If you’re refused PIP the DLA evidence will be destroyed 14 months later. So make sure the issue does not get missed. 

DWP will tell you there’s a 4 week deadline to return the form but it’s just an administrative one. The law imposes no such deadline so if you ask for an extension they will mysteriously give you 2 weeks extra without question but you can extend as needed. The best way to do this, if your reasons are specific to your impairment, is to ask for the extension as a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act 2010.

DLA and PIP are not completely different. Both look at the consequences of your impairment but reach their conclusions by different means. The big thing to do now is not to focus on medical evidence. After 27 years your diagnosis and prognosis won’t be in dispute. Your best evidence will be anecdotal examples of what happened the last couple of times you attempted each of the points scoring activities you think you should score on. 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    We wish you the very best with your claim and please do keep us updated :) If there is anything more we can do then please do not hesitate to be in touch!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • BobconBobcon Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thank you so much for your help, the handler did ask my permission to open my DLA award which I have given so I’m just waiting for the forms to come like everyone else in this position I’m anxious you think after going through it all 27 years ago that would be it but not so! I was diagnosed with polio as a baby spent years in hospital in an iron lung one leg is shorter than the other a twisted spine had a medical with a doctor 27 years ago who came to my house took me out to see if I could walk etc and thanks to her a managed to get DLA which was a god send as I was able to then to get my Mobility car Now it all hangs in the balance which they don’t understand is as the years go on you don’t get any better only worse but thank you for help once again
Sign in or join us to comment.