Should I claim for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I claim for PIP?

Options
yogi
yogi Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am now 50 and have had epilepsy since the age of 14 . I do hold down a job but have had to reassess my role in last three years due to losing my driving licence following fits . 

I have have grand male seizures with no warning . I obviously loose consciousness , fall wherever I am , convulse , bite my tongue and suffer urinary incontinence . 

I have have never considered PIP but feel I should perhaps. 

Fotunately my my epilepsy is very well controlled but that is not to say I do not mitigate risks by the following actions due to the unexpected nature of the fits and I have to be aware that they can happen at any point with no warning . 

I travel to work accompanied and all my colleagues are informed of my condition. 
Cook and prepare food under supervision . 
Obviously have a bath with the door open and only when someone is in the house . 
Require help following a fit as require changing and not really functioning mentally until after a very long sleep . 
Had memory issues following last fit . 
Uusually go out supervised if possible . 
Always travel with friends /  companions . 

It is only because I am so used to living having to risk assess every area of my life that I think nothing of it . I have had a quick look at the Internet and it appears PIP is difficult to get for epileptic conditions . I am very very aware that my predominant triggers are stress and reduced sleep . I do not want to make myself more susceptible to a fit due to stress of fighting a hopeless battle so I was seeking advice from others. 

Comments

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Options
    @yogi welcome, sorry to hear your suffering like many of us. But if I was you I would say you should be entitled to PIP as you can claim it and be in work which you are, I understand regarding the stress of applying. It's hard but don't let that put you off, easy to say I know.

I would start an application and see where it goes from there, but explain in full detail all the areas you need help, also add update evidence ie diagnosis and the functional problems you suffer.

If you feel you can handle a FTF as most likely you would have one, not saying you will, also add any other restrictions you may also face.

This is defo worth a look to see where you think you may score points "Personal independence payment (PIP) points scores"

https://benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system I wish you well.

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome yogi, yes do a self test be honest with your self as if you go forward with a claim for PIP the answers you give in your applecation form will have to be justified at your acessment, good luck and keep viewing and posting.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.