ESA appeal query — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA appeal query

pablo24
pablo24 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I wonder if anyone can help me please.

I receive ESA because I suffer from anxiety and depression.  Last year I had my ESA turned down so I followed the procedure, mandatory reconsideration and then appeal.  While I was appealing they paid me ESA work focused group rate, then called me in for another assessment.  I failed the second assessment, so we put in another reconsideration letter.  

I won my appeal and I have been waiting for my ESA to be reinstated, then today I get a letter saying my mandatory reconsideration for the second assessment has been turned down.

I am very confused.  What does this mean?  Does the appeal decision override the second mandatory reconsideration, or do I have to appeal again?  

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    @pablo24
    Sorry  I can’t answer your question but hopefully someone will maybe @poppy123456?

I hope you find out and yes the whole system is confusing 
  • pablo24
    I think they are helping me on another forum I am posting on.  Thank you for replying though
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @pablo24 You won your appeal for the first refusal to grant ESA  but subsequently attended a second assessment which you have now been told you have not been granted.  The second assessment  is the one they have turned your mandatory reconsideration down for so I am afraid you will have to go through the process again. The first appeal only applies to the decision made  originally and will cover payment until they found you fit for work at a subsequent assessment. 
  • pablo24
    Is it true that because this is the second time I have been found fit for work that I won’t be paid during the appeal process?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.