ESA confusion! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA confusion!

Options
angiemillie12
angiemillie12 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi can anyone help me I have previously been on ESA contribution based which ended Nov 2017 in July 8f this year I requested a change 9f condition and was sent for an assesment as I had been wrongly diagnosed by local hospital 8 requested I was placed on support group I have received a letter this morning telling me they haven't changed their decision and didn't say I wasn't been awarded either WRAG or SUPPORT group neither was there a copy of the HCP report enclosed can anyone give me any advice please am at a loss at the moment with knowing what to do next my last ESA was only paid to me after a tribunal but contributions ran out 7 weeks after I was awarded 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @angiemillie12 and a warm welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear that you have been told the wrong information and they are not making things easy for you! I hope someone in the community will be able to help you with this :)
    If you need anything else then please do not hesitate to be in touch :)
    Scope

• angiemillie12
    Options
  • angiemillie12
    Options
    I have since been awarded 18 points and been told today all I will receive is my NI CONTRIBUTIONS 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have since been awarded 18 points and been told today all I will receive is my NI CONTRIBUTIONS 
    Unfortunately ESA Contribution based is only paid for 365 unless you're placed in the Support Group. If you live with a partner that works more than 24 hours per week, then you won't be entitled to Income Related ESA. All you'll receive is your NI contributions.

If this decision was after a face 2 face assessment, then your next step is to ask for the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you have 28 days to request this. Have you taken a look at the support group descriptors? It's not about scoring points, it's about satisfying at least one of the descriptors (or reg 35)
    See them both here in these links.

I would advise you get further advice and help with the MR process, if you don't fully understand what you need to do. Your local CAB or any other disability advice centre near you. You can google what's in your area.

Most MR decisions fail, if this happens then it's Tribunal after this.

Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • angiemillie12
    Options
    Thankyou for your help x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.