PIP assessment report, what to do next — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment report, what to do next

Bdh2008
Bdh2008 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I’m new here, I have just received my pip assessment report and it is an abundance of lies. I have bipolar and am under the mental health team. As you can imagine this is not helping my mental state. I need advice on what to do next. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,343 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Have you added up the points in the report? There will be boxes with dots next to them, it's these you need to look at. If you didn't score enough points then you'll have to wait until a decision is made. They do however usually go with the report but you still have to wait.

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it depends on those conditions affect you daily. If the decision is a refusal then you have 28 days to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you need to request this in writing, sating what you disagree with and where you think you should have scored those points. Did you send evidence to support your claim? If not then you'll need to send some. They rarely contact anyone for this.

Avoid mentioning the lies in the MR request because DWP won't be interested in any of these. Complaints should be made to the assessment providers.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bdh2008
    Hi thanks I scored 0 points on both I have made a complaint already. I am being sent out the form for the mandatory reconsideration I sent in my care plan and council tax exemption due to severe mental impairment I also sent reports from family. Am due to see my phsyciatrist Tuesday so am going to ask for her to help. 
  • thara
    thara Posts: 49 Courageous
    Hi

Have you added up the number of points you scored?

Remember that PIP is awarded based on how much your disability affects your ability to do things independently. If they decide to turn you down then you have the right to ask for a mandatory reconsideration. Act quickly however as there is a time limit. You can politely request it in writing. I suggest you send a letter. Tell them what you disagree with and why you should have scored those points as well. Give as much information as you can. 

Do not send it to the DWP instead send it directly to the firm that actually did your assessment. 

What evidence did you send with the claim form? Usually there is a published list of suitable and unsuitable evidence. Please look at it carefully. Additionally I would take a look at the guide. It might contain some useful advice for you to read. 
  • Bdh2008
    Thank you so I write to capita to ask for a reconsideration it’s all very confusing at the moment.
  • poppy123456
    Bdh2008 said:
    Thank you so I write to capita to ask for a reconsideration it’s all very confusing at the moment.
    No, you need to request the MR with DWP PIP. Please see the link i posted above it tells you what you need to do. If you don't understand it then ring your local CAB who will help you with this process.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I contacted ATOS on the 6th April 2018 with a complaint letter identifying all of the errors and mistakes made by their assessor referring them to the evidence which was attached to the review form.
    I received a reply dated 20th July 2018 acknowledging my complaint. I still await their comments and explanations.
  • poppy123456
    Yadnad said:

I contacted ATOS on the 6th April 2018 with a complaint letter identifying all of the errors and mistakes made by their assessor referring them to the evidence which was attached to the review form.
    I received a reply dated 20th July 2018 acknowledging my complaint. I still await their comments and explanations.
    Yup indeed, you and most likely thousands of others.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    @Bdh2008

advicenow.org.uk/pip-tool will generate an MR request letter.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    No instead you need to ask for a MR. Use the tool provided to help you draft your letter. If you don’t understand please contact your local CAB office for assistance with the process. I’m currently writing a complaint about my son’s assessment report right now too.  
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    No instead you need to ask for a MR. Use the tool provided to help you draft your letter. If you don’t understand please contact your local CAB office for assistance with the process. I’m currently writing a complaint about my son’s assessment report right now too.  
    Good luck! You will probably get an acknowledgement in about 15 weeks time and a full reply whenever.

• Bdh2008
    I have asked them for one downloaded a form from cab, I have also emailed Capta a complaint. Need someone to help me fill it all out now as I’m not good at the moment.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    advicenow.org.uk/pip-tool will ask questions and generate a letter for you to submit for your MR.  You don't have to fill in a separate form.
  • Bdh2008
    Thank you will get my husband to have a look for me . She also put on my report she recommended a yearly review as my condition can change don’t know what that means ? 
  • poppy123456
    Bdh2008 said:
    Thank you will get my husband to have a look for me . She also put on my report she recommended a yearly review as my condition can change don’t know what that means ? 
    It means that they don't expect any changes within this time, if you plan on re-applying. They often do this even when there's no award given.
  • Bdh2008
    Thank you my husband had filled in the letter for reconsideration with the advice tool you all recommended. I am also hoping my gp and psychiatrist will provide me with more evidence to accompany the letter ... thanks to you all for your help and support, should anything change at this stage I will let you all no x
  • poppy123456
    Most MR decisions remain the same, so expect to take it to Tribunal. I hope this doesn't happen to you but just so you're aware. Good luck.
  • Bdh2008
    I understand so am not hoping for any changes just wish it wasn’t such a long drawn out process 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.