What the hell is rj gmcl please should they use it — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What the hell is rj gmcl please should they use it

Quinlan1
Quinlan1 Community member Posts: 33 Connected

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Quinlan1 and welcome to the community.

It refers to an upper tribunal judgement so yes it should be used considering if a claimant can carry out an activity safely. You can find out more at http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/safely-personal-independence-payment

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't know what the initials stand for but it looks it's an abrevation for previous appeal cases / regulations ect  have you phoned DWP to try and get an answer? Good luck keep us posted and updated on your answers.
  • Quinlan1
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Quinlan1

Here we go.

This refers to 4 appeals to the Upper Tribunal on the 9th March,  2017.

Google "(2017) UKUT 105 (AAC)"

Importantly, they were heard by a three judge panel, that means they cannot be challenged!

Importantly, all four cases where sent back to the appeal tribunal for rehearing.

This means the secretary of state for DWP, lost these appeals, that he now wishes to rely on your case.

I would seek the advice of a welfare rights officer.

Keep us informed & good luck.
  • Quinlan1
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    I see we have a 'driving a car argument'.

Doesn't matter if the car is a Motability one you should have the award taken away in any event because you can manage to drive it!!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Yadnad said:
    I see we have a 'driving a car argument'.

Doesn't matter if the car is a Motability one you should have the award taken away in any event because you can manage to drive it!!
    Brilliant post, well said!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad

Brilliant post, well said!
    I thought so too.

It just goes to show where the DWP get their reasoning from if you admit to driving a car, automatic, Motability or otherwise when attempting to claim PIP or at a pinch ESA.

• Quinlan1
    So now I know can’t win appeal
     Don’t worry I will not be on here again all ready down now the knife in
     al I use the car for is weekly hospital trip to get  TNF drugs 
    I was honest as I new they could find out
    with luck with no drugs be dead by xmas

• Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hi everyone, I’ve read a number of people on this forum that have discussed the matter regarding driving ,and this being a big obstacle regarding getting the mobility component. Many years back ( I’m sure there are a number of people on here remember) there was a specifically designed car ( albeit quite controversial these days, which I as a disabled person totally agree ) for disabled people to drive, a funny coloured green/blue  car , I think, only one person. So why oh why as the dwp changed the rules regarding the difficulty people are finding. For me I no longer drive, various reasons and I feel it’s safer not to,that doesn’t meant that’s right for others. I’m truly shocked that people could possibly lose their independence because of the fear of losing money. It’s shocking 
  • Yadnad
    Quinlan1 said:
    So now I know can’t win appeal
     Don’t worry I will not be on here again all ready down now the knife in
     al I use the car for is weekly hospital trip to get  TNF drugs 
    I was honest as I new they could find out
    with luck with no drugs be dead by xmas

This argument that they will use against drivers can only be countered in my opinion by telling the assessor that you no longer drive. It's as though you are being forced into lying to stop this ridiculous argument developing.
  • Yadnad
    edited November 2022
    Hi everyone, I’ve read a number of people on this forum that have discussed the matter regarding driving ,and this being a big obstacle regarding getting the mobility component. Many years back ( I’m sure there are a number of people on here remember) there was a specifically designed car ( albeit quite controversial these days, which I as a disabled person totally agree ) for disabled people to drive, a funny coloured green/blue  car , I think, only one person. So why oh why as the dwp changed the rules regarding the difficulty people are finding. For me I no longer drive, various reasons and I feel it’s safer not to,that doesn’t meant that’s right for others. I’m truly shocked that people could possibly lose their independence because of the fear of losing money. It’s shocking 

Yes it was called the plastic pig

Image result for plastic pig disabled

The argument about driving has been around for a while. It was dreamt up by the DWP to discredit anybody and everybody that admitted to driving a car and claiming PIP both the mobility and care elements.
    I have to be honest it is a rather skilful argument to use. However being a reader of Rightsnet Welfare Rights Officers say that it is easily dismissed if the right argument is put forward. What the argument is I don't know - maybe Mike [removed by moderator] can enlighten us.

It does make a mockery of the Motability scheme if you admit to driving one of their cars you will lose the mobility element and the car is then taken back!
  • poppy123456
    My argument is that there's certain conditions that shouldn't allow a person to drive. Most pharmacies do deliveries these days so if a person is unable to go out then this should be looked into.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Gwendoline1
    Wow that’s it, thanks I remember a neighbour of my parents had one, thanks for getting that picture up. 
    You’ re absolutely right. It’s disgusting, you’re dammed if you do, you’re dammed if you don’t!
  • poppy123456
    I have to say though that the assessment provider knew i drove during both my PIP assessments. It didn't go against me in either of mine. My mobility was increased after my review too from standard to enhanced.

I'm unable to walk very far but i certainly don't have any issues driving an automatic. I don't suffer with MH and my cognitive ability is fine too.
  • Gwendoline1
    That’s great to hear that under certain circumstances it doesnt create a problem for mobility payments.
    Ive become disabled over the last 5 year ish and only recently found this forum. I’m shocked and disgusted how people are being treated. Why oh why does this happen, I’m definitely with a tier system for the individuals needs and therefore payments of benefits accordingly. I truly can’t get over that this is happening in 2018. I was shocked the way I was treated in my 1st esa assessment but simply put it down to a rude and thoughtless person. It’s only since on this forum that I’ve come to realise that it’s the norm. Unbelievable!
  • Gwendoline1
    My reason for not driving is the medication I take and my physical disabilities.
  • Yadnad
    My argument is that there's certain conditions that shouldn't allow a person to drive. Most pharmacies do deliveries these days so if a person is unable to go out then this should be looked into.

For the most those conditions are mandatory in that your licence will be taken off you. Be it because of the drugs you take or the condition that you suffer from.

Not being able to go out is more than possible without a car or even having to use public transport. I use neither and spend most of my week visiting residents of my ward as well as working out of the council offices. It's all about looking at things from a different angle to find ways around the situation you are in.
  • poppy123456

Ive become disabled over the last 5 year ish and only recently found this forum. I’m shocked and disgusted how people are being treated. Why oh why does this happen,
    You do have to remember that you mostly only the read the bad stories. There's lots of people out there who do claim PIP successfully, without having to fight for it. The problem is, is that we don't hear about them. If someone's had a decision in their favour and they're happy with it, they have no questions to ask, therefore we don't hear their story.
  • poppy123456
    Yadnad said:

Not being able to go out is more than possible without a car or even having to use public transport. I use neither and spend most of my week visiting residents of my ward as well as working out of the council offices. It's all about looking at things from a different angle to find ways around the situation you are in.
    I never said it was but there's people out there that couldn't go out without their car and using public transport for some isn't an option. Lucky for you that you're able to walk around the ward visiting residents.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.