Autism — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autism

humbug
humbug Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited August 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi my son was diagnosed with autism a few months aged 43, I have struggled with him for years knowing he was having problems with communication  & behavioral problems. At school he was always excluded from classes & labelled naughty& disruptive. Now I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders, having an answer to why he was behaving like he was. Has any other parents had a similar experience???

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing this with us @humbug- I'm really glad to hear you finally have some answers. I'm sure many others will be able to relate to this!

I'm tagging in @mumof3boys, @raxa and @Madmomz7 who have all discussed ASD in their families in the past, who you may like to chat with. 
  • humbug
    Pippa Scope, thank you so much that would be great to talk to others who are travelling down the same road.?
  • Lucas83
    Lucas83 Community member Posts: 7 Courageous
    My son is 8 and is on the waiting list for an ASD assessment. He definitely has sensory processing problems identified by the occupational therapist. He has had recognisable problems since he started school but looking back there were signs before then, we just didn’t know! We have just chased his assessment up as he’s been waiting for a year now. We are being told it will be another few months, I feel it’s affected his whole school life and his home/social life. Who knows if he’ll get the diagnosis or not but I feel sure he’s due it. 
  • humbug
    Hi Lucas83, I can relate to some of what you say. My son is now 43 yrs old & has now been diagnosed as being on the Autism spectrum. When he was a infant I had problems with him he didn't behave or act in a normal way like my other son. He always seemed a difficult child. Right from him going to school he was viewed as being naughty & disruptive,  so was always excluded from classes. He got worse as he got in his teens & adulthood ,I was totally at loss to why he was like the way he was. It was a friend who suggested to have him tested & after 3 long yrs it was confirmed. What a relief,but I also felt so shad for what was lost.
  • Lucas83
    Lucas83 Community member Posts: 7 Courageous
    @humbug it’s not always easy to see, and although it’s a late diagnosis, he can make positive changes to his life now and you can support him. It’s a recognised disability too so that should help other people to understand. It doesn’t have the stigma attached that it used to. Don’t regret what’s past, concentrate on how to move forward. Although it probably doesn’t feel it, his diagnosis is a positive thing 
  • humbug
    Lucas83, yes you are right because i now understand why he behaves the way he does. So now hopefully I can access the help & support that he truly deserves. I hope that you can quickly progress with your sons diagnosis. Take care.?

Brightness